Aromatic Cinnamon Owl Ornament Tutorial

A big part of the holiday experience are the scents, right? Cookies in the oven, candles lit atop the mantle, spices brewing on the stove, fires crackling in the fireplace. They're all quintessential experiences this time of year. #‎homeforchristmas‬
One of those scents that just brings it all to me is cinnamon. Cinnamon sweets, candles, scented pinecones and more. This smell is my smell for Christmas. To bring this experience to my Christmas tree decorating, I created cinnamon scented ornaments made into an owl shape. They smell amazing, they're easy to make, they last forever and they're cute!
Want to know how to make one? I'll share!
Step 1- Creating The Dough
The Dough: Combine 1 pack of applesauce and 1 cup ground cinnamon. Mix in 1/2 cup craft glue. Let sit until dough starts to toughen (about an hour).
Start pulling small chunks off the dough and form into balls. Here's where I show you how "innovative" I am. I don't own a rolling pin, so I used a nearby Yankee candle to roll out my chunk of dough. I don't own cookie cutters, so I used the rim of the candle holder to cut out circles.
Using the cap of a marker, or side of a spoon, press it into the dough to create indents to mimic feathers. Then fold over the two sides of the circle to create "wings" and fold the top of the circle over to create the "head." Use the head of the marker to create the eyes and the tip of the marker to create the pupils. Then create a little triangle for the nose. I had to do some adjusting and smoothing to get them looking just right, so work with it until you're satisfied.
Take metal ornament hangers, straighten one of the hooks into an "L," and press them into the dough.
You could then jazz these up a step further and add glitter to the dough, add beads to the ornament hook, or paint in some details to really make them personalized. If you try it out, I would love to see your version!@adesignerathome on Instagram and Twitter.
These little guys are just so stinkin' cute. I've had them for a few years now and they still smell incredible. I'm thinking of making a few more, maybe even some that are just balls to hang in the inner branches of the tree so it radiates cinnamon- yum!
That's just the tip of the iceberg for Christmas crafts this week. I'm dedicating this whole week to Christmas on my blog- A Designer At Home. Come on by, check out some previous projects and follow along to see the other Christmas tutorials and decor coming soon.

These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Corinna Henderson

• Cheryl A.
    Cheryl A.

Yes I want to try it. I'm assuming a pack of applesauce is the individual containers like yoh put in a lunch box?????? Is thus correct.

• Nora
    Nora

I love this project but you leave out many important details like how much flour do you use and a pack of apple sauce and well I would really like to know how much flour please especially for those like me who've never done this before.

Thank you. Norjams88@yahoo.com. . .anyone? God bless!

• Bonnie
      Bonnie

No flour used just a lot of cinnamon and applesauce

• Dee
    Dee

I want to do this very creative project, but what is a “packet” of applesauce? Is there flour in this recipe?

• SandraD1940
    SandraD1940

I am absolutely going to do this to give away for Christmas tree decorations.

• Bonnie
    Bonnie

I bet one could make christmas tree shapes with this too, or maybe balls with cloves poked in them?