The Birds: Origami Nursery Decor

What qualities do you look for in a baby mobile? Bright colors? Blinky lights? Movement?
How about something an adult might actually enjoy looking at?
That was my challenge: I wanted to make a baby mobile that wasn't too babyish. Because at the end of the day, the fact is that I'm going to spend a lot more time looking at it than she is.
I was inspired by my sister-in-law, who made thousands of origami cranes as decorations for her wedding. I was able to snag a handful and save them for this project.
I stained and sealed 3 different-sized embroidery hoops, then hung the birds from the hoops using invisible thread. Instead of blinky lights, I added mirrored beads to the bottom of each bird for a little extra sparkle.
The big crystals in the middle of each embroidery hoop were originally for more sparkle, but I discovered the added weight also helps stabilize the hoops. The crystals are attached with 8-pound fishing line, which runs through the hoops and all the way up to the ceiling, where each hoop is hung from its own Command hook.
The result is a sparkly, colorful mobile that appears to float in midair over the crib. The paper cranes are light enough that they move gently in the air currents of the house, which makes it more interesting for a baby, right?
But I don't mind admitting, I'm a little jealous I don't have one over my own bed.

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Sarah's Big Idea

• DEBORAH BYRD
    DEBORAH BYRD

Where do you get invisible thread?

• Sarah's Big Idea
      Sarah's Big Idea

A light fishing line would work too, but you can buy invisible thread at any sewing/craft store like Joann Fabrics.

• Sojourner
    Sojourner

What's your secret to stringing the hoops so that the hoop hangs level with the ceiling once they're hung?
  • Coconut511
    Coconut511

Which Command hooks did you use on the ceiling? How is the monofilament attached to the hook?

• Carol Cole
    Carol Cole

I would love to have the instructions on how to make the birds.

• Tomi
      Tomi

google origami cranes. There are directions all over the internet.

• C
    C

I do not trust the command hooks. They have let me down way too often. I would NEVER put them over a baby crib. Maybe off to the side. Please be careful with this.