Transom Window Mirror Trick

$40

Need a quick and easy solution for windows that look too small? I love lots of light and big windows but they are hard to fit into most basements, which was where my new craft room was being built. I researched the topic and saw transom windows which are designed to let more light in above doorways, how could I make that work in my room?
transom window mirror trick, how to, window treatments, windows
Bingo! The solution was already hanging there in the unfinished basement, a narrow mirror! It was basically the same width of the window when it was turned on it's side, I wonder will it work?
Having a carpenter for a husband makes all things possible, if you can dream it they can build it He removed the original frame and backing from the mirror and simply glued it in place above the window with PL Premium adhesive!
I was so pleased how he then made it look so custom with the 1"x 2" wood trims he framed it all around with. To break up the boring, plain mirror he even added a couple of small strips as faux window bars.
By leaving the window all open it lets in plenty of light but the addition of the mirror tricks the visitor into thinking it's a very large window. I hope this idea may be of some help to you also for a cheap, and easy small window enhancement !
This is the finished look, the walls were stained with Minwax water stain in the color Driftwood and the window trims were stained with an oil based minwax stain called Pickling White.
I have a tutorial posted as well for the Pendant lights, see my other posts for many projects that were incorporated into my craft room space. I even did a brown paper floor treatment follow the link below.

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/35060281/frugal-faux-floors-brown-paper-treatmen

• Natalie Jarnstedt

Before I saw your reply, I also thought that the mirror(s) could have been just slightly angled away from the wall at the top (such as inserting a strip of very thin wood), then the ceiling tiles would not have shown in it. I bet you're enjoying it - really does look great!

• Cindi

Terrific idea! I wish my ceilings were high enough to do the same