Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

Dr. Seuss Children's Bedroom #kidspace

$208.25
1 Month

I'm a little late joining in the Hometalk hashtag, but I had to wait until I got my new camera so I could properly capture these fun room! Our in our home's basement is my favorite room in the house because it was the most fun to design and create! The Dr. Seuss kids room, inspired by our family's favorite author, is currently my son's bedroom. It is bright, fun, inspiring, and creative.
dr seuss children s bedroom kidspace, bedroom ideas, diy, home decor, painted furniture, painting
On my blog, I like to tour my home by laying out the costs of the items and projects I did. The toddler bed I got off Craigslist for $40 and painted black. The mattress was $80 from Target. The sheet was $0.25 at a garage sale (multi-colored polka dots!) and the pillows/pillowcase totaled $6.
The blanket was a splurge, I paid $42 for the amazing cuddle fleece material it is made out of. I did use a 40% off coupon so that could have been $70. My talented mother sewed it up for us. It has numerous characters from Dr. Seuss books on one side and red and white stripes (like Cat in the Hat's hat) on the other side. It is super warm to keep my kid cozy in this basement bedroom. Sometimes it gets to be around 60 degrees down there! Who am I kidding, I'm just trying to justify an expensive blanket.
My sister gave me this old dresser for free and I bought $6 sticker paper to draw the DIY "decals" on the side of it.
Pictured below is a table and chair set I transformed from a dingy $6 garage sale set to an adorable Cat in the Hat inspired play set. You can see it on Hometalk here: http://www.hometalk.com/11357868/dr-seuss-table-chairs-hand-painted-kids-furniture.
The $7 clearance curtains were from Shopko and were too long, but the perfect bright blue. My mother hemmed these the right length for me. I unfortunately do not have sewing skills. The cafe rod to hang them I bought at Menard's for $3. The blocks that say "READ" used to say "EMMA" but I painted over them. I got them at a garage sale for $1.
The bookshelf I made from scrap wood, leftover paint, and free-with-rebate Menards supports. It was easy and cost $0. The book collection is quite pricey, but fortunately for us, cost us a total of $1.50. I've only bought 3 of our 36 books (at garage sales) and the rest came from presents. My goal is to have the entire 60 book collection of all Seuss books for this Dr. Seuss kids room. Or at least the 44 he wrote and illustrated. This is what we ask for as gifts for our kids every year, and they love it!
The stuffed animals were all found at a thrift store. Thank you to whoever bought these at Kohl's and then donated them in perfect condition! I paid $15.50 for all.
The large frame was a hand-me-down from my mother-in-law. I made a poster of inspirational sayings from Dr. Seuss books. My favorite one on there is "A person's a person no matter how small" from Horton Hears a Who.
And lastly, the mural cost me nothing but time. I used leftover paint from the HHW facility and scrap wood for the 3D trees.
The total for our Dr. Seuss kids room is $208.25. For this inexpensive design, I utilized my artistic talent more than my credit cards. Sometimes you have to try some DIY craftiness to save money, and sometimes it turns out as good as you hoped!
Come on over to my blog and look at the other DIY projects I've done and the rest of my home tour.
Melissa Woods

• Patti

I absolutely LOVE Dr. Suess !!! So much fun to read to the little ones (I even give graduation gifts of THE PLACES YOU'LL GO ... 8th grade, High school, college and beyond ...). I love the room you did but am wondering how the child gets access to the books so high up over the bed? Or are they simply a "decorator touch" and not meant to actually be handled and read (as the lower decoration suggests "read")?

My now adult children & grandchildren always remark on how they enjoyed actually handling and reading their now well-worn-and-loved books. THAT'S where their memories come from ... not from the wall/shelf decorations.

Still I think the room is sooo cute and FUN! Great job! 👍🏻
    • Melissa Woods

Hey Patti- since every single book on the shelf is a Dr. Seuss title and I'm working on collecting all 60 books, I do not let my children grab them at will. The shelf is up so high so that the kids cannot touch the books without an adult's help. We read them at least one every night, but we don't let them play with the books. There are about 100 other books I don't care about in our house they can do that with.

• Dorothy Mercer Roberts

Well my husband wasn't keen on eating up the floor space with the bump out like that but I personally think you could do quite a bit with it lol he agreed you did a beautiful job on this bedroom.