Key Holder With Coastal Flair

This was such an easy repurposing project, but it’s one that gives a whole new look to a tired looking wall plaque I found at a local Goodwill Store.. Chalk paint and a stencil gave it some coastal flair.
Last fall, I found two wall plaques at Goodwill for $1.00 each. I wasn’t sure at the time just what I would do with them, but I knew I couldn’t pass up that price! Neither of them fit in with my decor, but I knew with a little paint, I could change that easily enough.
I cleaned the plaque with TSP and removed the knobs. I gave it two coats of Waverly Chalk Paint.
I used Folk Art chalk paint in salmon coral for the knobs.
I’ve used this stencil on a couple of other pieces and it gives a nice coastal flair to the piece. I glued a piece of rope to the back for hanging. The knobs have pegs on them, but they didn’t fit back into the plaque securely, so I added just a little bit of glue to hold them in place.
Using my palm sander, I sanded over the stenciled painting to smooth it out and along the edges to distress the piece. I added four cup hooks along the bottom for holding keys.
I have this hanging in my laundry room and it’s not only a decor piece with a purpose, it brightens up the room.
I had the chalk paint, rope and stencil on hand, so the only new cost for this project was another dollar for the cup hooks. Don't pass up those old thrift store plaques. There are lots of ways to repurpose them!
To see more, please visit the link below.

Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd

• Carol

you said you cleaned it with TSP. what is that?

• Sherry

What's the purpose of the knobs? Are they just decorative?

• Sandee Bishman

You could also hand a light jacket or sweater for running to the mail box, trash/recycle bin!!