Upcycled House Number Sign

Every month some of my blogging friends and I participate in a DIY Challenge. We pick one item from Home Depot and we each have to create something using that item. This month the chosen item was chain. I've been looking for a house number sign for some time now, but I couldn't find anything with the rustic look I was going for. I decided to make my own using leftover wood from a broken whiskey barrel planter.
I used 5 pieces of the leftover wood for the sign, and two more for the backing. I cut each piece to size using a miter box. I placed the two back pieces horizontally across and secured into place with nails.
It looked a little plain with just the house numbers so I added some metal pieces that had originally wrapped around the whiskey barrel planter. I cut these to size very carefully (the edges are sharp!) using industrial scissors. I attached those to the front of the sign with the original screws.
I used the chain as a hanger for my new house number sign. This whole project took only about an hour! Click the link below to see the full tutorial and the after photos!

TheHoneycombHome