Build A House Bunk Bed

$53.00

** Just adding a mini edit** We've had a lot of comments in regards to not having a guard rail. We do, we have a plastic rail we use at night. It just isn't on for the photos**
House Beds are a huge trend right now. I saw my first house bed over a year ago and I fell in love and I swore that as soon as we built our daughter a toddler bed someday, I would make a super cute pink house bed, decorated in cute pom pom buntings and it would be perfect. Well, fast forward a year, and she's only 16 months, still a ways away from being in a toddler bed. Then I had a idea! We are in the process of decorating our boys bedroom. and we needed to build them a new bunk bed set as their old set was massive and took up half their room.
Idea - Wheels Spinning - Husband Groaning..
Build a house bunk bed! Only problem was I couldn't find a tutorial for one, let alone a picture... so I got to drawing. Don't laugh. Seriously. I never told you I had skills.
I sent Glen off to the Home depot to purchase eight 2 x 4's, three 2 x 6's & a paint brush. Pretty much that's all we needed as we already had our own tools, wood filler, screws and poly.
HOUSE BUNK BED SHOPPING LIST
8 2 x 4's 8 Length
3 2 x 6's 8 Length
2 2 x 2's 8 Length for Runners
3 1 x 4's 8 Length for Slats
Paint Brush
100 pack of 2 Screws
Paint or stain of choice
Wood Glue
Sanding pads for orbital sander
wood filler
I should mention before I give you the cut list. The pictures below are not of the actual dimensions. We built the house part a lot smaller and once we got his massive 12 mattress on realized it was tight. So we unscrewed the entire bed and made it much taller. Keep in Mind, We pre-sanded all our wood. We did a quick sand after the bed was put together just on the edges. Learn from our mistakes. Here are the dimensions you will need to make a House Bunk Bed.
HOUSE BUNK BED TOOL LIST
Drill
Driver
Table Saw
Orbital Sander ( We used our dustless sander )
Clamps if doing alone
HOUSE BUNK BED CUT LIST
Tall Posts 4 2 x 4 : 46 Length * Top Angle Cut at 15 Degrees
Side Rails 2 2 x 6 & 2 2 x 4: 74.5 Length
Cross pieces 4 2 x 4: 38 Length
( For Top Bunk Cut 2 2 x 2's for rail at 74 & Cut 8 slats at 42" )
----------
House Cuts:
First Angle ( Longest ): 45.5 Length | Bottom Angle 15 degrees & Top 30 Degrees
Shorter Angle: 42 Length | Bottom Angle 15 degrees & Top 30 Degrees
Top Stringer: 74.5
Now that you have your wood cut, lets start!
You want to go ahead and make both end panels, we call them the "houses" When Glen was cutting the angles for each side, he numbered everything. It is a good idea to do. Or you could cut as you go.
Lay your house on the ground and line it all up. Once in form, you will be making all your pocket holes. 2 on each cut. We also siliconed between every cut. You want this bed to be extra strong. Especially if you have kids like us that live life hard.
Once both of your end panels are complete, you'll want to stand them up. If you're alone, you can lean one side up agains the wall and clamp the two ends & the bottom pieces together. But I was helping Glen, so we didn't need clamps for this stage.
See picture.
We just screwed straight from the outside Panel into the 2 x 4 side rail. We drove 2 2" screws into each side. You want to make sure you drive them deep. The top of the screw should be 1/4 deep.
Next step - do the exact same thing to the top side rails, except turn the 2 x 6's on their sides. Drill your 3 pocket holes. We put 3 2 screws on each side for added support.
Once both sets of side rails are screwed on, it's time to put on the bottom of the triangle on the ends. Start making your pocket holes on each side, we only used two on each end.
Now Attach the top stringer, fill holes & choose a paint or stain.

Jessica-Sara Morris

• Kmo4149175

This is fantastic! What is the total height from floor to house peak?

• Kristina Thomas

Hi! Is the bunk bed toddler or twin sized?

• Shawna Bailey

It seems just shorter than a standard twin bed. A twin is usually 75 inches and they say their side pieces are 74.5 inches I'm guessing their mattress is an inch or two shorter than that.

• Tenesha

How tall is your ceiling? Trying to figure out if these measurements will fit in my daughter’s room.

• Mary Coakley

Your bunk bed is beautiful and so sturdy your children must love sleeping now.

• Itsmemic

I had full sized bunk beds made by a carpenter...the very first thing we did was add a wooden railing. Plastic temporary is NOT a safe solution. Suppose during the day the kids go up to play? Not worth the risk. It will look fine and leave room by the ladder..easy. Great job on the beds...looks awesome !