Fixer Upper Inspired Wall Decor - Junkin' at It's Best!

I found this piece of metal roofing in my yard a few weeks ago. It was something my husband used to cover our firewood with. The patina on it caught my eye right away. The orange and blue combination is so pretty and the chip-y, peel-y just makes my heart happy. I thought, there’s got to be something I can do with that.
Once it was cut I could see that I wanted to frame it. We tossed around some ideas on what to frame it with including some reclaimed wood we had but there was no really easy way to attach it. Then I remembered I had this old tongue and groove flooring which would be perfect because we could use the groove to hold the tin in place. I had used this wood before for a sign I made for the dining room and for one in the hot cocoa bar .
So Hubby cut the flooring pieces into a frame, mitering the corners and then he slid the metal into the groove to make sure it fit. Then it was time put it all together. He used wood glue in the grooves and slid the metal piece into place.
Then he screwed “L” brackets on the corners on the back side to hold the pieces of wood together.
The colors of the “frame” turned out to be too much for the variation in color of the metal so I sanded it down using a palm sander. It made it more uniform all the way around. I wanted it to be just a bit darker but didn’t want to use stain or clear poly so I tried mineral oil. It worked great to bring out the color of the wood and darken it just enough.
I think it came out pretty cool especially since it was FREE! Well, I guess it did cost $2.50 for the “L” brackets. :)
To see more details on this project please visit my blog at http://mylifeonkayderosscreek.com or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lifeonkayderosscreek/ Thanks so much!

These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Janet

What kind of saw did he use to cut the metal?

• Louise

where do u get cotton bowels?

• Mary

Love the idea with the tin . but what really caught my eye was the vase you used. I just recently acquired the exact one at an antique mall in Oxford MS. Do you have any back ground info on it? Thanks.

• Hi Mary! Unfortunately, I don't. I got it at the salvation army or another thrift store (can't remember now). Funny thing, I found two smaller ones at another thrift store that match. There is no identifying info on any of them. :(

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives

Indeed, a project that touched my heart, use what you have to create custom pieces for your home! Beautifully executed!👏👏👏

• Kenneth Gauthier

It’s no secret that interior design can be expensive to incorporate into your home budget. Even if you’re only looking at redecorating a single room, the costs can add up quickly. Check the professional: https://kauzadecor.com/