Marcela Pena
Marcela Pena
  • Argentina

Working With Appliques on Nightstands

I chose this pair of nightstands to paint. They are elegant, delicate, and some colour will make a terrific change on them
working with appliques on nightstands, how to, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
This is a project I made some time ago. Unfortunately, I didn´t consider taking photos of the process, as I initially thought it would be just painting. But then the idea of an image I found in the web crossed my mind, and the project changed completely.
I thought why not make something like this on doors. It would add a very interesting focus of attraction! I can find some appliques at the craft supply store, and make the rest by hand...
So here goes the first... I bought these flowers at the store, and modelled myself leaves and stems using epoxy stuff (masilla epoxy in my language). I used antique white for the background because the bunch would be too visible to add a colour besides. I added pearly gems and strass to decorate and made the shape of the oval with dimensional paint.
I replaced the original pulls by these wooden ones, because I needed them white and round, to make them part of a bunch of flowers.
When it was time to work with the second nightstand I had a problem: as I was modelling parts myself, it would be almost impossible to have exactly the same image repeated. So I found a shortcut: I would make a different design on this one, but completely matching the first one. I worked with a smaller oval, one on each door, and then worked with the same appliques, leaves , stems and gems.
Painted body and legs in a jade colour mixed with white, which made a very light and romantic acqua. Distressed edges and lined with golden wax.
And here is my "new" pair of nightstands!

Marcela Pena

• Wendy Tellson Armistead

What did you use for the appliquees? Were they silk flowers? Wood? I may have missed that bit..but you said you got them at a craft store....these are absolutely gorgeous!!!!

• Laura

Is golden wax an actual paint or a putty of some sort. Never heard of it but love the way your stands came out!

• Marcela Pena

In Spanish it is called masilla epoxy, in Argentina its trade mark is Parsecs

• Desrine

Where can I buy that design
    • Marcela Pena

I don´t understand your quetion Desrine. What do you mean by that design? The appliques on the doors? The nightstands?

• Blythe Renton

Beautiful! I especially love that you chose different appliques for each piece instead of matching. I am finally inspired enough to tackle my own project.
  • Bj Blyth

love the designs and the aqua color!