Repurposing a Tattered Vintage Quilt for My Spring Mantel

Some vintage quilts are in gorgeous shape and can still be used on a bed...but then there are others that are falling to pieces! When I found one at a thrift store...that was gorgeous in spots but disintegrating in others, I decided to salvage what I could...and here is the first project I made!
And be sure to check out my original post for the full tutorial!
So I saw this quilt at a secondhand shop and just had to have it...even though it was crumbling in my hands along some of the edges!
So I decided to find a salvage-able section and turn it into the centerpiece of my spring/summer mantel using an old window. (After running through the gentle cycle on my washing machine!!)
I cut out the section I needed, temporarily attached the corners of the quilt to the window (check out my blog for details!), and carefully secured the quilt to the window frame.
I trimmed off the excess fabric (carefully!) and stood up my window- PERFECTION!
For each and every step, please check out my original post- full tutorial and all the materials I used!

Sadie Seasongoods

• Wilma June Miracle

Does the frame still have the panes in it?

• C. D. Scallan

I have an old quilt I like to do this with as well . Do you think I could use a staple gun to make it a little bit easier ?
  • Ruth

Any other clever uses for tattered quilts?
    • Auj27962241

My Mom took one of my Grandmother's Quilts that we grew up with and had used till it was tattered and had holes... So after Grandma died Mom cut it up and made all four of us kids a stuffed animal out of that quilt so we each got a piece to treasue!

• Bobbi Joe Taz

I have done with a flag also another one with a beautiful towel I purchased traveling 😊
    Fantastic Art in My home!!!
  • Auj27962241

For those who love the LOOK of the project but hate the IDEA of CUTTING a Quilt...

You can reproduce the same effect on two ways.

1. Put your quilt in a Shadow Box.

2. Build a small box out on the back of the window frame making it deep enough to hold the quilt.