Painting a Barn Quilt for Your Garden Shed

$75

My mother is a quilter and for her birthday I made her abarn quilt square to hang on my father's shed that overlooks their back yardand garden. Living in the south we see large quilt squares on barns on farms but I thought itwould be great to make a small one for my mom. I couldn't find any directions onmaking one but figured it out with out too much trouble.
First pick out a pattern that is special to your family. Itcould be a quilt that is in your family or just one you like. I wanted a TexasStar since my mother is from Texas. Then pick out your colors. I used rustoleum latex paints but you can havepaints mixed up if you want. Home Depot and Lowes will cut plywood for you. Iused a 3' x 3' plywood square. They sellsmall squares so look for those to save money. Here is my shopping list:
Plywood
3" foam roller and tray
painters tape (recommend frog tape)
cheap brushes (one for each color)
rustoleum clear coat (quart)
paint (for my design I used 4 colors and used Rustoleumlatex quarts)
plastic drop cloth
wood screws
Measure out your design with a pencil and yardstick on thesmoother side of the plywood. Taping off a border around your design will givethe quilt square a pop. Tape off the area you want to paint. I painted 3 thickcoats. After it is dried removed the tape and move to the next section. Besure and put a date and special message on the back.
After the whole design is finished cover the entireboard, back, sides and top with the clear coat with at least 4 light coats withthe foam roller.
Drill 4 holes for hanging.
Enjoy!!
Katey
PS
You can see more pictures of the project on my link to my blog.
My supplies
measuring the design
Get the family involved. They love it.
taping the sections off. the blue painters tape bled a little so recommend frogtape
rolling the clear coat on
Hanging in it's new home!
Texas Star

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Katey

• Sandra Noel

What is the thickness of the plywood you used? Did you put the bracings on the back?
    • Jewellmartin

Katey, this would be complex for me because of the precision. My son lives in Madison, Al., btw. This son has a house that could display a quilt board like this. I see your measurements, but did you plan the quilt with the proportion related to size of the shed? I don’t know if a 6’ or 9’ square quilt would be the correct proportion. Thank you for your rocket of an idea ☺️

• Cindi E

Hi~

Couple questions : )! Thanks!

1-Did you prime surface for weather/exterior before adding color(paint)?

2-What type/brand of exterior paints are used? Were you able to mix colors to get what you wanted as far as shading?

3-Did you use Satin, Semi-gloss, or a High gloss for paint?

3-What clear coat, Polyurethane or Urethane?

4-Did the final clear coat have a UV protection, and is it waterproof against weather?

HUE THANK YOU for taking time to answer : )!

from Northern CA (but originally from Oregon : )!

Cindi Ewert

chilipepper9759@yahoo.com

• Cindi E

Hi~

Couple questions : )! Thanks!

Cindi Ewert

chilipepper9759@yahoo.com

• Katey

Cindi, I can’t recall if I primed it but it wouldn’t hurt. In one of the pictures I have a picture of the paint can maybe you can see. I bought it right off the shelf and used. I’m sure you could mix to get what you want. I used polyurethane and can’t recall exactly what protection it had. I painted all the edges too. It’s held up great as it’s been many years since I made it. I think It was semi gloss as well as the paint. Good luck!!! Thanks for asking. Katey