West Elm Inspired DIY Plant Stands

$6

Have y'all seen these modern/mid century plant stands? West Elm has inspired millions and I'm here to grind out an easy, fool proof tutorial that anyone can do. Did you see what I said there? Anyone can do. So gear up and make this plant stand with me.
west elm inspired diy plant stands, diy, gardening, how to, woodworking projects
SHOP LIST FOR WEST ELM INSPIRED PLANT HOLDERS
- Fir 1 x 3
- 4 dowels
-silicone
-4 screws
-stain or paint of choice
-varnish
STEPS TO BUILD A WEST ELM INSPIRED PLANT STAND
You want to make your cuts first. We also do a light sand. Take your pot that you will be using and measure the width of the widest part ( typically the top ). Ours was 10 in width. That is what your longest arm will be. Here are the dimensions of our cuts:
Longest Arm: 10
Short Arms: 4 5/8ths"
Legs: 16
Three easy cuts, that's it. You arms aren't the full width of the longest arm because you need to subtract the width of the wood that you're screwing the arms into. Also, when cutting your pieces, take into account that your saw blade is 1/8th". So leave extra room for that. But if you're getting these cuts done at the hardware store, you don't need to worry about that.
Above is the longest arm. You want to drill two holes that will hold your dowels.
Next you want to drill your holes that will house the dowels. 3/8th". Just drill two holes on one end of each arm.
Now you'll want to make your pocket holes in the undersides of your arms. This is how you will attach the arms to the legs. We are using our kreg jig, but you can also do it by hand.
Yay - we are almost done our plant stand! Now, you want to screw all four arms into the four legs. It's pretty self explanatory, but I thought I'd take a picture anyways.
Apply your wood glue/silicone to the edges where your dowels are and then put all the pieces together. Allow a good 12 hours for the wood glue to dry before you put your plant stand to use!
See how easy that was? We left ours plain so we could quickly write this tutorial for you. But you can stain in your choice. A really popular color would be Early American by Minwax. Below I'll pop a photo of another plant stand we made, it's a bit shorter & stained in Jacobean.
Hope y'all enjoyed this little tutorial. We had fun making it & more importantly it looks so awesome. A great way to show off your green plants! I'd love to hear your thoughts, pop a note below & share!

• Fir 1x3
  • Silicone
  • 4 Dowels
Jessica-Sara Morris