DiY Rolling Jar Storage

$00

In order to achieve the goal of pristine countertops set forth in Space Hacker: DiY Slide-Out Shelves, I needed to relocate most of the crap that had been inhabiting my lower cabinets. For much of the stuff, I followed by my preferred method of dealing with unused and unwanted crap: 1) Find a large cardboard box in the big pile of large cardboard boxes taking up considerable real estate in the basement. 2)
diy rolling jar storage, diy, how to, organizing, storage ideas, woodworking projects
Look at all that wasted real estate! Okay, I could work with that space. People live in smaller spaces in New York City and San Francisco and pay good money for the privilege! I whipped out a measuring tape and took some hasty measurements (okay, I'll spare you the wait - I was a little too hasty, and I screwed up a measurement. When did I discover my error? When the piece was finished-but-not-painted. More on that later.) I jotted my measurements on a small piece of paper and made a quick sketch. I would build rolling shelves to hold my jars of precious spicy stuff. The shelves would fit exactly into the space shown above: the top of the enclosure would fit underneath the granite overhang and the bottom 4 inches or so would be recessed by 3/4 inch to account for the baseboard on the one side and at the back. I descended into the basement to start construction. I can hear you thinking, "Oh, down in the basement with all your boxes of crap?" To which I reply, "What boxes?" I decided to make the rolling shelf enclosure out of 1/2 inch plywood. I cut all the pieces according to my sketch and dimensions. I know other bloggers out there take the time to plan their work with computer-aided design and cut sheets and computer-generated plans. They are right to do so. I make my calculations in my head and scribble them on a tiny yellow pad of paper. I make mistakes - usually a lot of them. Don't be like me. Plan your work properly. Anyway, here are most of the pieces (I realized later that I forgot a piece. Also, I sorta changed the design a little bit halfway through building. Again, don't be like me when you build.)
I used my Kreg Jig to drill all the pocket holes.  
Next I built up the carcass of the cabinet by installing the back, sides and top using pocket screws and glue.

When it was all built and sanded, it was time to give it over to Handan for painting.
Handan has a paint sprayer that she absolutely loves. I'm all ankles and elbows when it comes to spray painting, so I just get out of her way and let her do her thing. **Here is where a bunch of painting happened** And, wow, it's done and filled with jars!
You may be wondering why those bars are so low. They are at the exact height they need to be to allow wide-mouth quart-sized canning jars to be placed on the shelves. Since there is very little clearance for the jars, they are not able to tip over and spill out. The only way they can be removed is to lift them up about a centimeter and slide them straight out. That was the idea for the big jars, and this summer there will only be big jars in there. For now, there are some small jars living in there, but I'm not worried about them falling out. As for those small-mouth quart-sized jars - well, I admit I didn't plan for them. They are taller than the wide-mouthed ones. They don't fit without a small struggle. Again, when it comes to planning, don't be like me. I'm always doing crap like this. Seriously, just go to our blog and read my posts. You'll see that each successful outcome was preceded by a cavalcade of stupid, preventable errors. I'm the blooper reel of DiY, the poster child for poor planning. But somehow, projects get completed and lessons get learned. Back to the jar keeper! It slides into its home...
... and pulls out when I need a jar for cooking.
And leave it to my clever wife to point out that it could really use a handle.
Now it's much easier to use!

Thanks for reading! --Posted by Greg
Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

2 questions on this project

• Thanks for the inspiration!! I have a large awkward space under my stairs that I have a mish mash of storage organizers and units. For 2 years I've considered ways to maximize the space and not pay a lot of money. This will be perfect. I can build them as tall as I want in varying heights, graduating shorter heights to accommodate the upper stairs and 3' heights for under the landing that will be easy to access with the wheels. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

• Aiokersonalicea1
    Jul 15, 2018

This will be great in my kitchen. I can almost everything that is possible. Fruit, meat and tons of vegetables. I enjoy canning, besides the fact I know what is in our food. (Salt, sugar, MSG, along with those words that are either too long, hard to pronounce, or some Latin word.)