Growing Tomatoes in Five Gallon Buckets

Whether rich or poor or experiencing drought or heavy rains, you can grow tomatoes in a five-gallon bucket and a sunny location! It's cost effective and you can control the quality of the soil and the amount of water resulting in that oh-so-yummy warm tomato right out of the garden experience!
You can usually find someone to give you a five-gallon bucket or you can buy one for about $2.50 (Lowe's). Drill 4-5 holes on the bottom for drainage. Add some compost/soil that drains well followed by your tomato plant!
These plants are on my deck -- easy access to my water hose--but don't over water!! Tomatoes are sweeter when they are in dryer soil.
If your Five-Gallon-Tomato Plant sits on a wooden deck, add a drip tray so moisture doesn't get trapped underneath the bucket and rot the wood.
Tomatoes need to be caged or staked since they are berries and have a need to climb. If these do as well as I think, I may add stakes inside the cages so they can grow up up up!!!
Finally, this is what we're all looking forward to. Is there anything better?

3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen

To see more: http://www.rivercliffcottage.com/2013/06/10/planting-tomatoes-in-five-gallon-buckets/

• Ppi23354624

i have given up raising tomatoes---not that I don't have good luck raising them, I do but I have the same problem every year---SNAKES!!! Every thing from rattle snakes to garter, to bull snakes ---what can I do??
  • Mfu28521910

I have beautiful tomato plants 3 foot tall and no blooms for tomatoes yet?
  • Cindy Rubin

How can I keep the squirrels and BIRDS away. Last year my tomatoes were either picked off the vine or pecked like crazy from the birds. Would the plants be hindered by a tighter mesh 'cage' ?

• Mike Butler

You can drape bird netting over the cage, and that will keep them out.