Growing Tomatoes in Five Gallon Buckets

Whether rich or poor or experiencing drought or heavy rains, you can grow tomatoes in a five-gallon bucket and a sunny location! It's cost effective and you can control the quality of the soil and the amount of water resulting in that oh-so-yummy warm tomato right out of the garden experience!
You can usually find someone to give you a five-gallon bucket or you can buy one for about $2.50 (Lowe's). Drill 4-5 holes on the bottom for drainage. Add some compost/soil that drains well followed by your tomato plant!
These plants are on my deck -- easy access to my water hose--but don't over water!! Tomatoes are sweeter when they are in dryer soil.
If your Five-Gallon-Tomato Plant sits on a wooden deck, add a drip tray so moisture doesn't get trapped underneath the bucket and rot the wood.
Tomatoes need to be caged or staked since they are berries and have a need to climb. If these do as well as I think, I may add stakes inside the cages so they can grow up up up!!!
Finally, this is what we're all looking forward to. Is there anything better?

To see more: http://www.rivercliffcottage.com/2013/06/10/planting-tomatoes-in-five-gallon-buckets/

• Ppi23354624

i have given up raising tomatoes---not that I don't have good luck raising them, I do but I have the same problem every year---SNAKES!!! Every thing from rattle snakes to garter, to bull snakes ---what can I do??
  • Mfu28521910

I have beautiful tomato plants 3 foot tall and no blooms for tomatoes yet?
  • Cindy Rubin

How can I keep the squirrels and BIRDS away. Last year my tomatoes were either picked off the vine or pecked like crazy from the birds. Would the plants be hindered by a tighter mesh 'cage' ?

• Stu

My cats keep the squirrels away but have made friends with the raccoons and Momma and her little ones eat out of the cat food dish along with my cats !!

• L

I live in the country in IL. I have a terrible problem with raccoons coming up on my porch and digging up every flower and vegetable I have in pots. They even tore open a new 40 pound bag of potting soil and spread it all over my wrap around porch! Grrr!

Someone said it's bc I used Miracle Grow potting mix in my potting soil and it has bone meal. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• L

Thanks, Carol! I will definitely give that a try and use different soil. I hate to give up my porch pots. I really missed them last summer.

• Lulis Del Castillo-Gonzalez

I’d try this idea but the deer are just too hungry out here!!!