Repurposed Solar Light Mushrooms

59K Views
I bought these cute little solar lights in the shape of mushrooms a couple of years ago at a dollar store ($1/each). As solar lights tend to do - these stopped working - the cells are on the INSIDE of the mushroom. The mushrooms fill with water every time it rains - that has caused shorts and rust and made them unusable as lights. But they were too cute and in too good of shape to get rid of just yet...
See more of my re-purposed fun:
https://www.facebook.com/JansGardenArt/
Cost: $0.00Difficulty: Easy
  • repurposed solar light mushrooms, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Any of the solar cells that were still attached, I removed them. I then thoroughly cleaned the tops and bottoms in soapy water with a scrubby and a toothbrush to make sure any/all dirt was removed. Really check the "tracks" where the two pieces go together. I'm being honest - I missed some and had to do it all again (that's what brought out the toothbrush - works great on the "tracks").
I left this *1* solar cell attached - because it still works and I'm curious to see what happens at night! :D
I sprayed them all with Krylon Fusion Spray Paint (made for plastic). I had some leftover from a previous project.
I painted all of the circles with red enamel that I happened to have extra. Let them dry overnight.
Put them back together and placed a few around the yard.
On either side of my Strawberries.
And a couple in front of Fiona.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Rust-oleum High Performance Protective Enamel  (Lowe's)
  • Krylon Fusion Spray Paint for Plastic  (Lowe's)
  • Solar Mushrooms  (Dollar Store)