Repurposed Solar Light Mushrooms

$0.00

I bought these cute little solar lights in the shape of mushrooms a couple of years ago at a dollar store ($1/each). As solar lights tend to do - these stopped working - the cells are on the INSIDE of the mushroom. The mushrooms fill with water every time it rains - that has caused shorts and rust and made them unusable as lights. But they were too cute and in too good of shape to get rid of just yet...
See more of my re-purposed fun:
https://www.facebook.com/JansGardenArt/
Any of the solar cells that were still attached, I removed them. I then thoroughly cleaned the tops and bottoms in soapy water with a scrubby and a toothbrush to make sure any/all dirt was removed. Really check the "tracks" where the two pieces go together. I'm being honest - I missed some and had to do it all again (that's what brought out the toothbrush - works great on the "tracks").
I left this *1* solar cell attached - because it still works and I'm curious to see what happens at night! :D
I sprayed them all with Krylon Fusion Spray Paint (made for plastic). I had some leftover from a previous project.
I painted all of the circles with red enamel that I happened to have extra. Let them dry overnight.
Put them back together and placed a few around the yard.
On either side of my Strawberries.
And a couple in front of Fiona.

• Rust-oleum High Performance Protective Enamel  (Lowe's)
  • Krylon Fusion Spray Paint for Plastic  (Lowe's)
  • Solar Mushrooms  (Dollar Store)

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/JansGardenArt/

• Rebecca

What are "Fiona" made from? It looks like smaller tires.

• Kitty McCarty

how did the one solar light work out? precious idea!

• Jan's Garden Art

I'm not sure if the "light up" time at nite is affected much by the paint job. I think it's the cells. I abhor throwing things out and try to make sure it really is unusable before hand....the cell worked, but I did have to play with the light a bit....think the wiring is going on that one too, but again, I hate to throw it out while it still works! I know I'm crazy - just join in the party or ignore my craziness. LOL

• Donna

If you don't have enamel handy for the dots/bumps I'm wondering if nail polish would work. I've used it a couple of times as paint when I needed a small amount.

• Jan's Garden Art

I'm sure it would! I used enamel - as I had it on hand, it was red, and again, I had it on hand. :D

• Bettye Johnson

CUTE!!!!!!!!

• Cat bollerud

Most solar lights now come with rechargeable batteries; although it's a good idea to get the ones specifically made for solar lights. They produce a different voltage from the regular rechargeable batteries, and are engineered to actually recharge themselves from the sunlight that they absorb during the day. I have found them at Menards in nearby Janesville, Wi. You might want to check your local big box lumber and hardware store. Don't know if the smaller hardware stores carry them, and haven't found them yet into Big Lots. Nice job making something cool out of what most people would just toss.