7 Simple Steps to Create Cheap & Easy Built-In Closet Storage

Our home office was in desperate need of some additional storage space in the closet. I set out to do the project without spending anything, so I snagged a few materials from our garage, got to work, and within just a few hours, I had much needed storage areas built right into the usually unusable ends of the closet!
Next up, I grouped the items that I needed to store, snagged some on-hand baskets, created labels, and put everything away. Worked like a charm!
Each side of the closet got a different treatment based on the items that I needed to store, but the installation of the shelves was exactly the same and the result was perfect storage! The best part... I didn't spend a dime!
First, I took some basic MDF that I had left over in our garage. I cut shelves out of the MDF based on the size and space we had at each end of the closet.
Second, I cut "supports" out of MDF to hold the shelves. Each support was 2" tall and ran the length of each side of the shelf that would touch the wall.
Third, I used my drill and screwed each support piece to the wall. So, each shelf had three supports a piece.
Next, I placed the shelves on top of the supports, and used finishing nails and a hammer to secure the shelves to the wall supports. After that, I threw on two coats of high gloss white paint to finish them off! Pretty, pretty!

Ashley Meyer - Design Build Love

• Marie Kimes

What is MDF?
    • Daniel Way

"Medium Density Fiber Board". It is composed of sawdust, resin and adhesive. Very stable (if kept dry). Used extensively in ready made furniture and cabinets.
  • Nancy Dart

So I can understand.....you're only using the shelves in this closet, not the hanging rod..correct? Otherwise, if you are using the hanging rod, I'm thinking you wouldn't be able to see the shelves for the hanging clothes!

• Richard Nance

Did you check for studs in your closet or just nail the support boards to the drywall?