Wonderiris
Wonderiris
  • Whitefield, ME

Giving a Child's Desk New Life

I found this little child's desk in a little odds and ends shop. I fell in love. It was in good shape, just needed a little love and some updating!
Side view unfinished
Side view unfinished
Side view of the desk before cleaning or taking it apart.
Front view unfinished
Front view unfinished
Front view. It had been used because there were a few shallow gashes, but still in great shape. The metal frame just needed a good cleaning and some paint.
Stenciling letters on top
Stenciling letters on top
I took all the pieces of wood off and sanded down the pieces completely. I used a blending of Unicorn Spit to brighten up the pieces. I used a blend of black, gray, blue, and some red. I wiped it all off so that wood grain could still be seen.
Side view
Side view
Then I stenciled various letters on the top of the desk portion. I'm a Literacy Specialist so letters seemed to make the most sense. I picked the letters that made up the letters in all the names in our immediate family.
Top view down after finished
Top view down after finished
After completely dried and 5 coats of glossy poly...
Front view
Front view
I am loving it. The metal body was spray painted a navy blue. Can't wait to situate it beside the guest bed and place a nice lamp and plant on it!!

• Unicorn Spit  (www.unicornspit.com)
  • Wipe on poly  (hardware store)

• Hillela G.

I love that you picked out letters to represent your family- so sweet!

• Lisa House

Too cute, but the idea to use it beside the bed...fabulous!