Hanging Chicken Wire Fruit / Produce Baskets

$9

I have had my produce in a bowl on my counter for ages, but I could really use the counter space for other things. That's why I decided to make a hanging produce basket! This is a cheap and easy fix considering it's made from chicken wire! All you have to do is cut and bend the wire in the shape of your choice, and hang it where you please!
SUPPLIES: -Chicken Wire (I used 2ft x 50 ft x 1in. in 20 gauge, but you do NOT need that many feet...they were simply out of a lesser amount at the hardware store I went to) -Wire Cutters -Pliers -Gloves (I know I'm not wearing them in the pics, but it is smart to do so) -Spray Paint in the color of your choice (optional)
STEP 1: Unroll and Measure Your Wire Unravel your chicken wire, and then roll the cage-wire to create a cylinder shape. Roll it to the size you want the circumference of your produce sphere to be. I unrolled about 20" or so. Be sure to add an extra inch or two. Now simply cut through the wire at the point you rolled your wire cylinder to.

STEP 2: Roll Your Wire and Twist Together Roll your wire back into a cylindrical shape overlapping an inch or so. Using your pliers, twist the free wires around one another where the cylinder overlaps (start in the middle). Leave a good 6" untwisted and free on each end of the cylinder. (*This just helps later on.)
STEP 3: Close Up the End Stand your cylinder on one end. At the opening on top, fold over the wire so it closes. Fold it in as if you were wrapping a present. As you fold, be sure to work the wire and shape it into a round shape. Twist the free wires around others to hold the shape in place. Continue to work and bend the wire to keep a spherical shape.
STEP 4: Cut of the Excess Wire Once I was done creating a closed, circular end on one side, I saw that the cylinder was far too long. I simply cut off the amount I didn't need from the open end of the cylinder. It was still too long when I cut the section off, so I cut it a second time until it was the size I needed. Now simply repeat step 3 for this end of the cylinder, and close up the other side.
STEP 5: Cut a Hole in the Ball At this point you should have a complete and closed ball. (Reshape it as much as needed.) Now we need to cut a hole so we can place produce in the basket and take it out. Simply grab your wire cutters and cut a hole to accommodate various size produce. Bend back any loose and poking wires so the hole is clean and so you don't poke yourself. I decided to make a smaller basket to hang with this one so I simply repeated the whole process with a smaller cylinder.
STEP 6: Spray Paint Your Baskets If you want to change the color of your wire baskets you can simply spray paint them in the color of your choice. I know some people might be wary of spray paint touching their produce, but I always wash my produce thoroughly and most of it is in a peel that will be discarded anyway. * I used a metallic paint I had on hand for this project.
STEP 7: Attach the Baskets With Twine Grab a piece of twine and feed it through the bottom of the large basket and the top of the smaller one.
STEP 8: Tie it Together Tie the twine into a knot to keep it in place.
STEP 9: Make a Loop to Hang It Take another strand of twine and feed it through the top basket. Do a loop knot (fold the twine in half before feeding it through, and then feed the two loose ends through the loop and pull tight).
STEP 10: Hang it Up Now all you have to do is hang it where you wish and add some fruits and veggies!
I can't wait to keep filling this thing up with fresh and colorful treats! To buy a similar hanging produce basket, click right here.Interested in a hanging wire planter instead? Buy one by clicking here.
Look how cute these lil' beans are! I decided to make two in different sizes for varying produce. (I might even add a third later on.) *Note that the price says $9, but I have TONS of chicken wire left for future projects. There is also a shorter roll of wire that Home Depot carries for $5 or $6, and it too would supply an excessive amount of wire.

Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!

• Rose Singleton

How do you get fruit/veg in or out? It is closed at top and bottom.
    • Offaly

Potatoes and onions should be stored in a dark place to stop them sprouting, I have mine in two separate canvas bags in the pantry.

• Mjg

That was my first thought. How do you get the fruit or veg's out?

• Jacquienina

Maybe this was just for display, but in general, doesn't storing onions and potatoes side by side cause them to get softer faster?

I do like your work here - it's something I might try, as I have lots of wire around.

• Jojo

True, onions give off a gas that encourages potatoes to sprout.

• Pat

You can buy wire hanging baskets that don't look like barnyard garbage.