Hanging Chicken Wire Fruit / Produce Baskets

$9

I have had my produce in a bowl on my counter for ages, but I could really use the counter space for other things. That's why I decided to make a hanging produce basket! This is a cheap and easy fix considering it's made from chicken wire! All you have to do is cut and bend the wire in the shape of your choice, and hang it where you please!
hanging chicken wire fruit produce baskets, crafts, home decor, kitchen design, storage ideas
SUPPLIES: -Chicken Wire (I used 2ft x 50 ft x 1in. in 20 gauge, but you do NOT need that many feet...they were simply out of a lesser amount at the hardware store I went to) -Wire Cutters -Pliers -Gloves (I know I'm not wearing them in the pics, but it is smart to do so) -Spray Paint in the color of your choice (optional)
STEP 1: Unroll and Measure Your Wire Unravel your chicken wire, and then roll the cage-wire to create a cylinder shape. Roll it to the size you want the circumference of your produce sphere to be. I unrolled about 20" or so. Be sure to add an extra inch or two. Now simply cut through the wire at the point you rolled your wire cylinder to.

STEP 2: Roll Your Wire and Twist Together Roll your wire back into a cylindrical shape overlapping an inch or so. Using your pliers, twist the free wires around one another where the cylinder overlaps (start in the middle). Leave a good 6" untwisted and free on each end of the cylinder. (*This just helps later on.)
STEP 3: Close Up the End Stand your cylinder on one end. At the opening on top, fold over the wire so it closes. Fold it in as if you were wrapping a present. As you fold, be sure to work the wire and shape it into a round shape. Twist the free wires around others to hold the shape in place. Continue to work and bend the wire to keep a spherical shape.
STEP 4: Cut of the Excess Wire Once I was done creating a closed, circular end on one side, I saw that the cylinder was far too long. I simply cut off the amount I didn't need from the open end of the cylinder. It was still too long when I cut the section off, so I cut it a second time until it was the size I needed. Now simply repeat step 3 for this end of the cylinder, and close up the other side.
STEP 5: Cut a Hole in the Ball At this point you should have a complete and closed ball. (Reshape it as much as needed.) Now we need to cut a hole so we can place produce in the basket and take it out. Simply grab your wire cutters and cut a hole to accommodate various size produce. Bend back any loose and poking wires so the hole is clean and so you don't poke yourself. I decided to make a smaller basket to hang with this one so I simply repeated the whole process with a smaller cylinder.
STEP 6: Spray Paint Your Baskets If you want to change the color of your wire baskets you can simply spray paint them in the color of your choice. I know some people might be wary of spray paint touching their produce, but I always wash my produce thoroughly and most of it is in a peel that will be discarded anyway. * I used a metallic paint I had on hand for this project.
STEP 7: Attach the Baskets With Twine Grab a piece of twine and feed it through the bottom of the large basket and the top of the smaller one.
STEP 8: Tie it Together Tie the twine into a knot to keep it in place.
STEP 9: Make a Loop to Hang It Take another strand of twine and feed it through the top basket. Do a loop knot (fold the twine in half before feeding it through, and then feed the two loose ends through the loop and pull tight).
STEP 10: Hang it Up Now all you have to do is hang it where you wish and add some fruits and veggies!
I can't wait to keep filling this thing up with fresh and colorful treats! To buy a similar hanging produce basket, click right here.Interested in a hanging wire planter instead? Buy one by clicking here.
Look how cute these lil' beans are! I decided to make two in different sizes for varying produce. (I might even add a third later on.) *Note that the price says $9, but I have TONS of chicken wire left for future projects. There is also a shorter roll of wire that Home Depot carries for $5 or $6, and it too would supply an excessive amount of wire.

• Rose

Can you mix your vegetables together like that??? Doesn't one destry the other ???

• None

Onions give off some gas that does something.

• Dottie DuParce

You should never store onions with potatoes. The onions will make the potatoes sprout earlier than they otherwise would.

• Jeanne

Dottie is absolutely right! I keep my onions and potatoes in separate containers/drawers away from each other!

• Flo

Haha! 43 and I learn something every day, thanks ladies. If they do sprout, (like mine do cos they live with onions) chuck them in a big pot and keep covering the sprouts with soil and you will have millions of gorgeous tiny new potatoes in a few months

• Diane

And, never store veggies and fruit together...fruit with fruit, veggies with veggies.

• Barb Gimbel

Potatoes should be stored in a dark place or they go green. Too much green (solanine) on a potato can be toxic.

• Donna Crutcher

I LOVE Flo's response!! Nothing lasts long enough in our house to sprout anything!! Lol

• Jim

Ditto to everything above.

• Roger

Wonder if I can do this for frequently used tools?

• Grandmasue10

Only if the tools are large enough to not fall through the holes.

• Trish Sharpe

maybe use hanging basket liners not the moss ones ? or any similar product ( felt ) as a liner for tools

• Linda Easter

Fruit life - How long will your fruit stay fresh in the baskets?

• That depends on where you store the baskets. I have had several products in there for 3 weeks and they are just now starting to shrivel.

• Wyl6130687

Apples stored near many other types of fruit tend to decrease the time they (the other fruit) stay fresh and they don't last as long

• Robby Treichel

You might also want to put your potatoes and onions in separate baskets for the same reason as the apples. I've read that onions give off a gas that will rot potatoes faster.

• Morgan

also storing potatoes and onions together makes the potatoes go bad fast too.

• Morgan

• Pat

you can put an apple in with the potatoes keeps them fro going bad not sure about other fruit/vegetables.

• Kim

My farmer husband says potatoes need to be stored in the dark, because in the light they will turn green faster, and this is an OLD worry about getting sick from green potatoes. But I have researched that, and you would have to eat 10 pounds of only the green parts, all at once, to get enough to make you sick. And I LOVE the look of these cute baskets!

• Mar21897489

@Kim you are absolutely correct. I also read that the cooked potatoes destroy any "Toxicity" from the green part of the potatoes.

• M slavin

Not an answer but a comment isn't everyone very negative only @kim commented on baskets

• Heather R Davis

I heard that chicken wire can cause cancer. I am not sure if that's true, but you might want to research that, if you are keeping your produce in it. I hope this helps you! Not trying to be negative =)

• Jackie Willis

I'm not sure about the cancer business but she painted over the chicken wire so that may make a difference. ( I'not trying to be flippant but I think there is a cancer scare for everything we come in contact,)

• Touchedpainter

Just Google it, this is from "Grit Magazine": Using galvanized wire mesh for supporting tomatoes is suggested on your website. I know that working with galvanized wire entails risks — one roll of standard galvanized wire I bought recommended washing hands before eating and avoiding repeated exposure — so why would this material be safe for growing food, especially if the food comes in contact with the wire? People have been drinking water from galvanized steel pipes, galvanized “tinware,” etc., for years. Galvanized steel isn’t appropriate for preparing acidic foods or beverages (especially brewing), and it isn’t the best material for vessels designed to serve up your favorite drinks. From the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics: “Zinc poisoning is mostly accidental from the intake of pesticides, inadvertent therapeutic use of heavy doses of zinc salts (oral supplements), or drinking of acidic juices or brews made in galvanized iron utensils.” The only real risk with galvanized steel fencing is from breathing fumes while cutting, burning or welding, or from breathing dust from grinding, etc. The warning label on the wire is the brainchild of some litigation department. Zinc toxicity is most generally caused by inhalation, not ingestion. And in the case of the wire fencing, the only risk is in the small amount of zinc dust that might be present. I would be much more worried about taking a zinc supplement than handling wire on a weekly basis. So, I cannot think of any reason to worry about handling galvanized wire fencing of any kind, or from swimming in galvanized steel stock tanks, or from drinking Ogallala Aquifer water from galvanized steel pipes emanating from windmill-powered galvanized reciprocating pumps, all while leaning on a galvanized steel windmill tower. But, if that galvanized metal is burning, I will definitely avoid the yellowish-white, zinc-laden smoke. And if that galvanized steel is sitting in a pickling acid, I will definitely avoid drinking or swimming in the effluent. I most definitely wouldn’t worry about galvanized wire for my tomato cages. — Oscar H. Will III Editor, GRIT magazine

• Good looking out... I will look into it for sure!

• Robby Treichel

Wow! Nice research, Touchedpainter!

• Morgan

The warnings are there, not as a brainchild of some lawyer, but as the result of companies getting sued for failing to warn of health hazards that resulted in people being sickened, permanently disabled or killed as a consequence of using/misusing the products back before there were safety warnings and courts ordering companies to provide those safety warnings. And no, common sense doesn't tell us all things and most ordinary folks do not have the wherewithal, on their own, to test and ensure a product is safe before purchase or use.

• Fran2

i noticed you have potatoes and onions in same basket. It's been my understanding there a
      can be a negative reaction. Just wanted to let you know.

• Jea22178158

I was thinking the same thing Frances, you are not suppose to store potatoes in the same space as onions.

• T

The reason for keeping potatoes and onions separated is due to the gases that the onions give off, which causes the potatoes to sprout early. The potatoes are still edible if you cut the sprouts off first.

• G Cameron

Don't want to sound like a "Debbie Downer" but it is my understanding that chicken wire contains lead along with zinc. I wouldn't take a chance with lead being around food.

• Yofrendonna

I have always kept my potatoes an onions together. I'm 60. No cancer, no health issues. Still alive. 🙂

• Debra Kemp

She said if you keep them together it causes the potatoes to sprout early. Not a word about cancer or your age, or even your health.
      They sprout prematurely, ( too soon) after that the potatoes and onions will rott before they normally would. It won't kill you, make you sick. It makes
      you throw them away before normal.
      Im sorry so blunt but people just don't read then they have an opinion. You can't have an opinion if you do read the post or listen to a conversation.

• Wendy Cochran

today it causes cancer, next week it doesn't but something else does.

• Jill Ron Pike

The gasses in the onions will be dispersed because these are open containers with plenty of ventilation. The onions-rotting-potatoes problem comes with those closed-in containers that have an onion drawer and potato bin in one. The gasses in the onion drawer only have one place to go--up into the potato bin.

• Land

Actually, I took a food safety class for a restaurant we were going to open and the teacher (county health inspector) told us that once a potato has sprouted it is poisonous to eat! Shocking cuz my mom and mother in law always just cut the 'eyes' off. I throw them out. Potatoes must spend a lot of time on the shelf these days because they go bad so fast I have switched to frozen potatoes, just hubby and I can't get through 5 lbs of potatoes before they go bad.

• Elaine

Wow! I’ve never, ever, EVER heard of this before! 😳 My mother’s potatoes always had sprouts on them because she lived alone after my Dad died and had too many potatoes sitting around all the time. She lived to almost 94. I eat sprouted potatoes (I cut off the sprouts) and I’m now a senior. I’d be interested to learn if anyone else has heard of this before?

• Lisa

i don't want to sound negative here, but you know those plant hanging baskets at Dollar Tree? I just use those for my produce. Just add more chain to the desired length you need & hang from a hook in your ceiling or under the kitchen cabinets. Easy peasy😊😊

• Edie Snyder

Everything causes cancer we're all going to die

• Yofrendonna

youre right Edie! Lol

• Joy24832423

I just found this on Amazon: BEWARE of any chicken wire made in China if you plan to use it in the garden or for compost bins or anything else that may end up in your body. Most of the cheap chicken wire sold at Lowes and HD (like this) contain lead. A dead giveaway is if it has a sticker on it saying that per California regulations, this is to inform you that this product contains a known carcinogen or something very close to that wording. However, if it doesn't have a sticker that does not mean it is lead free. Your best bet is to spend a couple more dollars and get chicken wire made in the USA and it is guaranteed lead free. Plus, keep that money in the USofA!

• Jewell Martin

@Joystm I realize your comment is over a year old about chicken wire, but do you know where to find chicken wire made in the US that has information about content? That's an interesting idea. Thanks 😇

• Sjj22180433

That seems a much smarter idea - probably looks better too.

• Clair A. Gervais

Won't the chicken wire sag and loose it's shape with the weight of the stuff in it. I use mesh baskets, had them for years.

• Rose Singleton

How do you get fruit/veg in or out? It is closed at top and bottom.

• Mxn7809805

That was my first thought. How do you get the fruit or veg's out?

• Mxn7809805

Now that I have read the directions, I see that you cut a hole in each container. Silly me. lol It pays to read the directions, and I hate directions.

• The13363824

Nah!