DIY Hanging Planter

This super simple project transformed boring, frumpy plastic hanging planters (that I picked up for $3 each at my local hardware store) into hanging planters that are more my style! The whole project only took a couple hours – and I’m in love with how they turned out!
I started with these super basic, not particularly attractive plastic hanging planters.
I removed the plastic hangers (they were just clipped on to the pot), and spray painted the pots white.
Then, I took a piece of twine and cut it to twice the length that I wanted my plant to hang. I folded the piece of twine in half and inserted the two ends upwards into the holes in the pot that were from the plastic hangers (that I removed earlier). I cut three more pieces of twine and did the same thing on the remaining holes.
Once I was done pulling the twine through the holes, I gathered all the ends at the top, and tied them together with an overhand knot.
I put in faux ferns from Afloral. I ended up putting 4 fern bushes in each planter, and it worked out perfectly!
I hung the planters in my screened in porch, and I just love them!
This DIY was the last finishing touch I wanted to put in my screened-in porch to complete my makeover for the room! You can see the whole "Screened Porch Makeover" here!

The Cofran Home

• Michele Mullins

They have no bottoms attached so how does it collect the over watering?

• Shirley Patey

Do planters need any prep to make paint stick to the plastic?

• Joline Cosman

They make spray paint just for plastic now. You should probably wash it well, but shouldn't need anything more.

• Justine

How do you hang a planter? I don't want to have to drill into the ceiling.

• Monica Santos

It depends where you want them I have them in my curtain pole hanging, be careful to use small ones