Before & After: Family Room Remodel

$3000
Advanced

I pulled our old, nearly-dead (mostly dead?) computer from the closet this week and managed to extract all our old files from the hard drive. I was pleased to find a few grainy photos of the family room from when we first moved in. I'd described the look of the original "built-in" shelves in the first of my Great Family Room Remodel blog posts, but didn't know I had the photo's show them.
These built-in bookcases were created in five sections from 2" x 10 3/4" boards (2 x 12?) and a plywood backing. They were actually fairly well constructed. They were stained dark, with no protective finish. With the thick shelves and dark color, the unit appeared too heavy for the small room. With the really low, stained ceiling, they really gave it a basement cave-like feel.
Dark, heavy bookshelves and a stained, 7'5" drop ceiling.
The shelves are redone with molding, bead board backing, and fresh paint.
After the remodel. A new ceiling 8" higher than the old, crummy suspended tile.
A couple new couches and tables from IKEA made a big difference as well.
The freshened up book cases look much better.

23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Memorial Day Crafts
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
John @ AZ DIY Guy

• Kathie taylor
    Kathie taylor

A great inspiration! My bookcases are on either side of the fireplace, floor to ceiling. They are dark as well and I'm not very fond of them! You have shown me what they SHOULD look like!!!! Thanks!!!!

• Sandra
    Sandra

This has become a truly beautiful room. It's really amazing how much lighter the room"feels" and I hope you are enjoying that lovely room.

• John @ AZ DIY Guy
      John @ AZ DIY Guy

Thanks Sandra. It really has been much more enjoyable, plus the added insulation in the ceiling has made a huge difference this summer!