DIY Tiered Tray From Frames

$12

I have a hard time passing up nice wooden frames when I see them. With a little paint, these would be great to use as actual frames, but I had another plan. I’ve had my eye on those gorgeous tiered trays you see everywhere for quite some time.
Here’s how I made one for around $12:
MATERIALS NEEDED:
Frames (at least 2 of varying sizes)
Paint (I like using the 20z. chalky paint for small projects)
Wood (an old pallet works great!)
Miter saw
Wood glue (aff link)- here is the glue I used
Satin Poly
Wooden candlestick and finial- (aff link) you'll find lots of finials to choose from here
First, I took out the glass so I could easily paint the frames.
I painted both of them with CraftSmart chalky paint in Linen. It’s a perfect neutral color. I also distressed them quite a bit.
I had originally planned to put fabric in the frames under the glass, but I wasn't sure how this would work for a tiered tray. I've only ever done this with a one layer tray. Plus, I wanted something a little more rustic. I’ve had pieces of a pallet in my garage for a few months (years) because I knew that one day I would need it!
The time had finally come and I’m sure my husband could not have been happier to finally be using it. He even cut the pieces for me!
I added a layer of satin poly to bring out the color a little. The wood was glued together and cut to the perfect size to fit snugly in the frame. I turned the frame over and slipped the wood in from the back.
Now, it was time to assemble the trays. I bought a wooden candlestick at the craft store and painted it the same color as the frames.
The frames were screwed onto the top and bottom of the candlestick so it would be as sturdy as possible.
I added a finial to the top tray.
I really love how it turned out (and I especially love the price!)
*Please note that I only use my tray for decorative purposes (the apples in the picture were not eaten). If you plan to use yours for food, you may want to use new, untreated wood and seal it with something that indicates it is safe for food contact!

15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
What Treasures Await

• Kate_tremul

Could you please tell me what make that drop saw is your husband is using . kind regards .

• Peyton

could you use liquid nails rather than screwing the candlestick to tray?

• What Treasures Await

It would definitely be worth a try. I used the screw at the advice of my husband, but if you do not have tools for that then you could try the liquid nails. Especially if it won't be moved a lot and will just be used for decorative purposes.

• Mhe12691510

Had you thought about using the glass that was in the frame, then backing/gluing pretty paper onto the glass from behind? This would make the tops cleanable. Granted you would have to rely on glue to hold the pieces together, is that do-able?