Create Your Own Wire Baskets

$5.00

I always seem to need a basket for a specific space in my home and I can never find the right size to purchase.
This time I decided to make one to fit. I love the way it turned out.
I started with Hardware Cloth. We had some of this for a project we were working on so we already had the 24' width.
It comes in varying widths and lengths so depending on what size basket you need you can get the right size.
You have to do a little bit of math in this project, yuck! But I could handle it. Figure out how wide, long, and tall you want your basket. Mine is 17 wide, 15 long and 3.5 tall.
3.5 is as tall as I could go due to the 24" width of the hardware cloth. Use tin snips to cut the piece you need. Be sure to add the height measurement x2 (two sides) to the width and length measurement when you cut.
I needed a piece that was 24 x 22. (17 + 7 = 24 and 15 + 7 = 22)
Then mark the spots to cut the corners out to form your sides. I needed to cut 3.5 inches from the corner over and up to find the cross point.
Mark it with a sharpie then use the tin snips to cut out the corner. When I cut I left the little wires hanging on one side so I could wrap them around the opposite side to hold the corner together.
When all four corners are cut, use some sort of a straight edge ( used a piece of wood) to bend the sides up.
Get some needle nose pliers or some small jewelry making pliers to wrap the wires around the opposite side.
After you have the basket wired together work with it until you have the shape you like. Mind had a little twist that got better but did not go away completely. But when I put the fabric in it it was just fine.
I love making my own organizational boxes and now baskets. I have made some very stylish bins using diaper boxes. They look great.
If you like this sort of thing, be sure to sign up for my email/newsletter. You also get a free printable to make a great gift for someone when you sign up.
I hope you will check out other posts on my blog as well.

• Hardware Cloth  (Hardware Store)
  • Tin Snips  (Hardware Store)
  • Sharpie Marker

Michelle James

• Andrea Booth

Were the little cut edges sharp? Do you need to file them?

• Ava Batte Jordan

Another tip: a heavy dot of hot g;u on the snipped bit prevents snagging on contents, or you 😎
  • Jennifer Johnson

Is this material rust-proof? I would like to make storage baskets for the side of my garden tub for shampoo bottles, etc.

• Grace Gleason

Yes, it is rust proof---EXCEPT for the cut ends. Galvanized wire is always rust proof.

• Matty

Thank you for the inspiration. A few of my cabinets are narrow and deep and I have been looking for a basket. This is what I did after I saw your post

, I had to frame it somewhat because of the height
    • Lyn

Reply to Christie.... probably a large washer and nut on the inside of the wire and knob screw through the wire. Then tighten.