Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Homemade Fruit Fly Trap

$1
1 Minute

Here’s a really useful eco-friendly trick to get of fruit flies. I hate fruit flies. Actually, I hate any bug that comes into my home, but fruit flies are the worst. Obviously, the first step to getting rid of them is to find the rotting fruit or vegetable and dispose of it, but sometimes those fruit flies just keep sticking around (and they multiply!). So when they wouldn't go away, I used apple cider

The problem. Yuck.
The problem. Yuck.

All you need is dish soap, apple cider vinegar, and a cup.

Step 2: Add Vinegar

homemade fly trap, how to, indoor pests, pest control

Pour apple cider vinegar into your cup. This attracts the flies away from whatever they are eating/laying eggs in. (I shuddered as I wrote that.)

Step 3: Add Soap

All you need is a few drops of soap (I used more because it looked pretty in the video). This breaks the surface tension of the vinegar. That’s what allows the flies to walk on liquids.

Step 4: Let it Sit

It works pretty quickly, but if you need it for a long term problem you can just keep refilling the soap and vinegar every week or so. Eventually, the flies will get trapped under the soap.

Shoo fly, don’t bother me!

• Apple cider vinegar
  • Dish soap
  • Cup

• Evelyn Jackson

Thanks for the great solution to fruit flies. We live near a barn with horses, sheep, pigs, etc. Every summer I dread the "COMING OF THE FLIES!!" I think I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of them. I am desperate for a plan for next Spring/Summer, when the "invasion" begins again. HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE

• Joseph Glackin

Try putting out a bird feeder. We live near a river, and used to get BIG flies and mosquitoes. Some years back I fed birds one multi-snowstorm winter. A friend told me I should continue year round, but cut back to 1 or 2x a week. The birds stayed around, the flies & skeeters left. Been doing it for several years now, and no fly problems.

• EasyAs123

Thanks! I've used this method for 2 decades. One correction; too much liquid dish soap in video. It's only to be one {small} drop. That's all that is needed to break the surface tension in the water, so the fruit flies sink. Adding too much soap can prevent them being attracted.