Homemade Fruit Fly Trap

$1
1 Minute

Here’s a really useful eco-friendly trick to get of fruit flies. I hate fruit flies. Actually, I hate any bug that comes into my home, but fruit flies are the worst. Obviously, the first step to getting rid of them is to find the rotting fruit or vegetable and dispose of it, but sometimes those fruit flies just keep sticking around (and they multiply!). So when they wouldn't go away, I used apple cider vinegar and dish soap. I also used this great trick to get rid of the fruit flies from my veggie patch, so this trap works outdoors too.

Step 1: Gather Your Supplies

The problem. Yuck.

All you need is dish soap, apple cider vinegar, and a cup.

Step 2: Add Vinegar

Pour apple cider vinegar into your cup. This attracts the flies away from whatever they are eating/laying eggs in. (I shuddered as I wrote that.)

Step 3: Add Soap

All you need is a few drops of soap (I used more because it looked pretty in the video). This breaks the surface tension of the vinegar. That’s what allows the flies to walk on liquids.

Step 4: Let it Sit

It works pretty quickly, but if you need it for a long term problem you can just keep refilling the soap and vinegar every week or so. Eventually, the flies will get trapped under the soap.

Shoo fly, don’t bother me!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Apple cider vinegar
  • Dish soap
  • Cup

Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen

• Gloria F

Do I need to stir the mixture to make a foam?

• Sarah

How much vinegar? You don't say 1 cup 1/4 cup 1/2cup. You say only a couple of drop of dish soap so I understand how much that is

• Tara Robinett

Does this work on the little flies that come from the litter box? Don’t judge me.

• Cesley

I ran out of apple cider vinegar last week and only had white vinegar, so I improvised, we use honey for a lot of things and when I had an almost empty container, I poured the white vinegar into the container and used only a minuscule drop of soap as the honey helped to not only attract the flies but worked like the soap in the original recipe. It was the honey bear bottle tht has the single small opening so I also didn't need to put saran wrap over the top and poke holes small enough to get in but not out. It works awesome so that's MY new recipe! Hope it will work for others! 💪😉

• Clcprod

Wine works well also