Rope & Spandex Rug

$27

If you're looking for a fairly simple but versatile rug, you may want to try this project out. Though it's a little time consuming, the end result will definitely be a conversation piece (shortly after I finished mine, my sister-in-law came over and saw it as she was leaving, saying, "Hey! Nice rug!" :))
SUPPLIES: -2 rolls sisal rope (3/8"x50') -1/2 yard spandex material (you can use multiple colors or just one like I did) -3'x5' non-slip rug pad -hot glue gun/sticks -scissors -parchment paper
STEP 1: Measure & Cut sisal rope First, I measured and cut strips of sisal rope--I got about 8 strips out of each roll of sisal. I documented all of my measurements, however, unfortunately due to technology issues, my document didn't save and I lost all of my measurements! :(
There isn't really an exact formula to get your measurements--you just want to make sure you have at least 3-5 different sizes--my rug turned out to be approximately 24.5"x30" when I was finished and I used all of my sisal rope. You can make your rug as big or as small as you'd like.
STEP 2: Coil plain rope For this step, all I did was take a strip of sisal rope and, using hot glue as I coiled, I wrapped the rope back onto itself.
You'll want different sizes of the plain sisal rope so that the spandex-wrapped rope pops when your rug is all finished.
STEP 3: Coil rope WITH spandex Next, to create the coiled rope with spandex, I took strips of spandex and folded them in thirds, added a little dot of hot glue to keep the end of the strip together....
...then I hot glued the spandex to the end of the rope.
Once the end of my spandex strip was secured, I began wrapping the spandex around the rope while also wrapping the rope onto itself. I tried to hold everything tight so that there was spacing between the spandex and the rope.
Here is what your spandex-wrapped rope should look like.
STEP 4: Arrange rug design and hot glue rope circles together *Note: for this step you'll want to ensure that your GOOD SIDE is faced DOWN! Next, I laid out how I wanted my finished rug to look. I didn't have a method at all for this--I just tried to make sure that the finished rug wasn't going to be too symmetrical. You'll want to essentially do this step backwards--have your glued, ugly side facing up and add small strips of hot glue where the circles touch. This is to make life easier for you when you get to the next few steps. *As you'll see in my final photo, I made the mistake of getting ahead of myself and gluing and attaching my rug pad on my good side {insert my tantrum here}. You can't tell from the photos but I wasn't a happy camper that I made this mistake.
STEP 5: Glue & Cut rug pad After I glued my circles together, I measured out a piece of rug pad and glued it to the rug (again, this should be done on the BACK of the rug!).
Once the outer edges of the rug pad was glued to the rug, I cut away all of the excess...
...then, I went back and glued the inner edges of the rug pad.
Though I messed up with the rug pad being glued on the wrong side, I'm still happy with the overall look (from a distance). I think the red circles almost look like peppermints so this could pass as a rug for my Christmas decor.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

SGT KNOTS Twisted Sisal Rope 3/16", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1" x Several...

15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas

• Donna Simmons
    Donna Simmons

I love the concept that you used to make the rug. Can you use cotton T Shirts. Even different colors and Just One Circle. I think that would be a fun project to try

• Liz
      Liz

If you sew your coils together, it would be considered a coiled rug. It is easier to walk on when it is solid. the similar materials that are combined are easier to clean than different materials. look into basketry books for inspiration.
  • Lori
    Lori

I like this idea. How about some old jeans cut into strips and either used with the red or without?
  • Vicky
    Vicky

With 50feet rope ,how big will be the rug?

• Pamela
    Pamela

I love the idea of using old clothing to make rugs. I cut worn clothes, thrift store items in great colors, hand-me-downs, etc. into strips and then braid them until I have enough to start a rug. It is another good way to recycle cloth into something useful and beautiful.

• Ruth McAlpin
    Ruth McAlpin

In love with the idea and comments of others !