Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Tuna Can Tea Light Hangers

$10

If you're looking for a simple way to add a little light to your space, here is the perfect project for you! This would also make a great project to do with your students, kids, grandkids, or girlfriends -- though if you do this project with littles, I would recommend using a different glue than hot glue unless you take over for the cutting and the gluing parts. :) We want to help you DIY, so some of the
tuna can tea light hangers
SUPPLIES: -clean tuna cans with labels removed -scrapbooking paper (or ribbon) -cutting mat -straight edge (I used a ruler.) -hot glue gun/sticks -box cutter (or X-Acto knife) -twine Not pictured: -scissors -tea lights candles (or battery powered...see photo further down in the tutorial) -wire hanger *Note: this project only cost me $5 as I only had to purchase the battery powered tea lights -- I had everything else on hand.
tuna can tea light hangers
STEP 1: Cut scrapbooking paper The first step I took was to cut strips of scrapbooking paper. I wrapped a full piece of scrapbooking paper around one of my tuna cans, with the edge of the paper just under the lip of the can, to get an idea of how wide the finished paper strip needed to be -- it ended up being roughly 1-1/4".
tuna can tea light hangers
STEP 2: Hot glue paper strips to cans Next, I used hot glue to adhere the scrapbooking paper strips to my cans. I started with a small line of glue to get the end adhered to the can, then every inch or so I added more glue until the entire strip was glued to the can.
tuna can tea light hangers
STEP 3: Make hanger for cans Once all of my cans were covered, I took my twine and...
tuna can tea light hangers
...made a bow from the end of the twine...
tuna can tea light hangers
...then I cut the bow loose. I'd recommend making small bows -- maybe an inch and a half to 2" or so. These are basically just to add an extra little touch to the cans.
tuna can tea light hangers
Next, I cut different lengths of twine. I didn't measure anything -- just simply started with one length, laid it out and then cut the other lengths, so that all of the cans would ultimately hang at different heights.
tuna can tea light hangers
STEP 4: Hot glue bows and twine strings to can As you can see, for this step I adhered the bows and twine strings to the cans. I first glued the end of the twine string to the can (I glued it at the seam of the paper), then I glued the bow on top of the end of the twine string.
tuna can tea light hangers
STEP 5: Tie finished cans to hanger and add tea lights Don't forget your tea lights! You can use real tea light candles but I wouldn't recommend it as you never know who is going to come along and bump the wax out.
tuna can tea light hangers
To hang these finished cans, I simply tied the other end of the twine to the bottom of a wire hanger. Because these hanging in our son's room, I wasn't so worried with the rustic look of a plain wire hanger; however, if you're hanging you're cans somewhere prominent, you can always add some garland or burlap ribbon to dress up the hanger.
tuna can tea light hangers
I love how simple and easy this project was...and how cute it turned out! The beauty of this project is that you can make them look however you wish because of the different scrapbooking paper and ribbon that is out there!

Tuna cans

• Irene

How long is the life of a tea light if it is left on continuously? Very pretty, BTW.

• Cheryl Neske

I bought some at the Dollar Tree for Halloween and left one on by mistake, it was still burning this morning and I turned it on 12 days ago. I was amazed.

• Emma Saavedra

Can you give any ideas on the decoration of a hanger.
    • Katharine Moore

You can wrap the hanger in twine just put a dab of hot glue every couple inches to keep it in place
  • Jo

Did you clean out the tuna cans with detergent? Do they still smell like tuna? I can just see my cat now wondering where the tuna is! Lol

• Toni Renee

I just enjoyed putting this together. I used burlap rolls for this project, one plain and the other with polka dots with tan background sold at the Dollar Tree. I went one step further and also covered the hanger with the same and added a bow. I can't wait to create more, probably go for a theme next time. Just loved the outcome.

• Donna

You could tie the strings of twine onto a nice stick or twig from the yard instead of a clothes hanger. Then using another string tired to the stick that could hang on the nail.