Painted Farmhouse Furniture

I found this poor forgotten hutch at the Salvation army for just $35. It was just screaming I can be beautiful again!
It was really beat up but I loved the size and the style of it and I could not beat that price. It took a really good cleaning and some spackle to fill in some of the big holes to get it ready to paint.
The one thing I didn’t do to get this piece ready to paint was sand it or prime it first. The paint went on and covered so well without it. My plan was to layer the colors and then antique the piece so that the lighter color would show through the darker just a bit along with bits of the original wood. I started out with a color called Silverplate as the first coat.
After it had dried for a couple of days, I went around the edges with some 120 sandpaper. The lighter color came through here and there and with a little harder pressure on the sandpaper the wood finally came through. The result on this antique hutch makeover is a gorgeous, chippy, rustic goodness and I love it!
To see more of this project and projects like this and DIY decorating, visit my blog at http://mylifeonkayderosscreek.com or check out my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lifeonkayderosscreek/

• Paint

Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek