Creating Custom High End Butcher Block Counter Tops for Cheap

2 Weeks
Advanced

After our success with butcher block counter tops in our last house, we knew we wanted to put them in our new kitchen as well. We choose Ikea butcher block again but wanted to create a custom high-end look, so we routed the edges, stained the wood, and sealed it with Waterlox. We love that the counter tops now look like a work of art!
creating custom high end butcher block counter tops for cheap, countertops, diy, how to, kitchen design, woodworking projects
Here is our countertops after being routed, stained, and sealed.
This is the Ikea butcher block before we started.
The first thing we did after cutting the counter tops to length was route the exposed edges with a French Baroque bit.
See how professional the edges of even cheap butcher block look after being routed?
We used 3/8" wooden dowels and adhesive to connect the two long stretch of counter top together to create a cohesive look.
We stained the countertops in place with two coats of Minwax Dark Walnut.
The countertops are sealed with 4 coats of Original Waterlox. It took 4 days to apply the sealer then we had to wait another 3 days before using the counters.

Simply Swider- Stephanie

• Rot2880964

Are these countertops solid wood(not comosition wood)? The only butcher block tops I see on ikea site are composite with a veneer. Or, is this not listed as a counter top on ikea's site?

• Jph1569381

They offer both, I used the solid. Mennards now carries them in stock and cheaper

• Dwayne Gibson

I am curious the type of wood that you used for your counter tops?

• Jan

What about preparing food on this counter top?

• Teresa Hamilton

I was going toward granite but the price is a bit high. This is a beautiful alternative and I goes with my style more so thank the granite so....THANK YOU for sharing. :-)

• Linda

What a great transformation! They're gorgeous. Now I just need to get some help so I can do the same!