Lit Spare Mitten Tree

$30

This project is very much in the same vein as the yarn ball tree I did a couple weeks ago, but this one is MUCH less time consuming and I think it is a bit cuter too hehe... This mitten / glove tree can be created with your bag of misfits that many households have or you can order some gloves in bulk for crazy cheap as I did! Simply make a chicken wire base and hot glue the gloves on for this Dr. Suess looking mitten tree!
SUPPLIES: -Chicken Wire -Scissors -50+ pairs of gloves / mittens ... I used loofa gloves I found in bulk for $0.59/pair -Hot Glue -Spray Paint (optional) -Battery Powered Lights
STEP 1: (Optional: Spray paint gloves) This step is optional! If you want your tree to be a certain color and have mismatch gloves you can paint them all the same color or in the colors of your choice. These gloves I ordered were supposed to be mint green, (even were in the pic online) but arrived crazy blue so I decided to make them mint green with some spray paint. The picture on the right shows the before and after. I did a coat of robin's egg blue and a coat of apple green spray paint to get the color I wanted.
STEP 2: Prep the chicken wire core Cut a large square out of your chicken wire. Mine was about 46"x46.
STEP 3: Measure the tree's dimensions Use a ruler as a compass and measure an even distance from one corner in an arc shape on the bottom. You can see that each straight side from the corner is even as well as the distance the entire way around the arc. The image says 24, but I cut mine to 46" all the way around and then cut off excess when I ran out of gloves.
STEP 4: Roll the chicken wire into a standing core Roll your cut out chicken wire into a cone shape and connect the open ends together by twisting the raw cut wire around one another. You are closing the cone shape by matching both straight edges to one another. The arc shape cutout will rest as the base on the bottom.
STEP 5: Start gluing the mittens Now that you have your tree core it is time to add the "branches". Take your painted mittens / gloves (which should be dry now) and start gluing them to the chicken wire form from the top down.
STEP 6: Continue gluing mittens (lift the fingertips) Continue gluing gloves all the way down and around the chicken wire form. Lift up the fingertips from the top gloves and hide the wrist section underneath making sure to cover up all the wire beneath them.
STEP 7: Cut off excess chicken wire Once you run out of gloves cut off most of the excess of the chicken wire from the bottom and fold under any sharp edges.
STEP 8: Wrap lights around the tree and decorate Now simply wrap the tree in a string of battery powered lights and decorate as you please. I chose to keep mine simple, but you could add ornaments or whatever you want!
STEP 9: Turn on those lights and enjoy!
I love this thing... I know it is really silly and whimsical, but it kinda makes me laugh.
I wanted to make this thing much larger, but ran out of gloves... I kinda like it this size though!

3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom

• Donado1017
    Donado1017

Why didn’t you start from the bottom like a roofer would do, less difficult to make sure cuffs are hidden without having to glue and hold up mitten?

• Marilyn Zaruba
    Marilyn Zaruba

Aren't 50 pairs of gloves very expensive?

I think this is a darling idea, but believe it might be cheaper to watch for some dark green felt on sale.

• Jaye
    Jaye

Is there a way to make the trip look fuller? Maybe it is visual but the lights wire could hidden. The wire looks like it binding the leaves

• Mary
      Mary

You could easily hide the wire under the gloves and poke the lights out between the fingers.

• Leslie
    Leslie

The idea is adorable but I think Marilyn Zarubas idea of using felt or better yet polar fleece on sale would make more sense and cost a whole lot less. You said you bought in bulk inexpensively and should have given that info if possible. Cutting out a glove shape would take a bit of time but could be done sitting watching tv. The idea Amanda is great and the "tree" came out wonderfully. I would also start at the bottom and work upward as Donado1017 suggested. It reminds me of a Dr. Seus tree.

Thank you for sharing the idea with us and hope you and yours have a Happy New Year

• Paula P
    Paula P

This is so cute. I like that you can make it any size depending on the size of the chicken wire.