Bermuda BlendingTM Technique Step by Step

$60
Advanced

Hi! Thank you for looking at my post 😉 I'm an interior designer and the creator of this fun and amazing technique I called Bermuda BlendingTM Technique. I've done over the year amazing pieces with my technique and now I will love to share it with you ☺️ The Bermuda Blending technique it's a fun way to play with different colors and textures that gives to any piece life and movement.

Basically, I chose a variety of 4 shades of blues, using brand names paint colors and also creating my own colors with the help of Pixie Dust Paint Company. Pixie Dust additives allows me to use any paint color I want mixing the liquid or powder with my flat finish latex paint and still maintain that chalk like finish that I need.. Or if you like to get the original colors for Bermuda Blending you can go to this link.. https://pixiedustpaintcompany.com/collections/workshops-classes/products/bermuda-blending-paint-spit-set

Bermuda Blending Original colors

Ok for a great smell and enhancing colors!!!! One of my favorite products to use besides Pixie Dust is another amazing product called Unicorn SPiT Natural Stains. Both of these products allow me to use custom blends of colors I want at a more affordable price and allows me to enhance my projects in a way no other paint or stain allows. Unicorn SPiT it's a non-toxic natural water base gel stain and glaze in one with a wonderful aroma (think blooming jasmine on a spring day). I love to use it directly as a stain or to enhance the colors on a chalk paint base surface. *The SPiT Colors • Unicorn SPiT Navajo Jewel. • Unicorn SPiT Phoenix Fire. • Unicorn SPIT Zia Teal. • Unicorn SPiT Blue Thunder. Antiquing: Dark Wax from Annie Sloan

To seal and protect: Use your trusted brand of sealer, I personally like to use Minwax Polycrilyc Clear Satin finish, but there are several waxes and sealers on the market that will all achieve the same results. Use what you are comfortable with.

Note: Before starting make sure your furniture is clean and degreased. And now...Let's start blending! Get one soft paintbrush for the blue colors and one paintbrush for the orange color. I always like to start with the lighter colors, so let's start with the turquoise color bottle #1 from the left. Start painting on the easiest part to get comfortable before you start Blending! The first color should be applied in a long light stroke in a small section, then the second color from the edges so that it starts blending but not covering the first color in its entirety. Even though you are blending colors, each color should have an area where it’s just that color.

Let's Start Blending!!!

Use a dark blue to create drama (Bottle #4 from the left) as well as The bottles #2 qnd #3 colors in different spots, blend with more turquoise #1. You will get original shades of blues in every blend, that's why it is important that you always give the original colors their own spot. To add the contrast color (Orange Color bottle #5 from the left) choose strategic areas on your furniture, like corners and small areas surrounding the Orange with your favorite Blue combinations. Keep blending until you have covered the entire piece. Note: Let it dry for at least an hour.

Now that all the colors are dry, we can appreciated them all together! To create a brighter and more vibrant effect, we’re now going to SPiT! YES SPiT!!! You just have to try it!!! You can apply SPiT with your hands (fingers) or a brush. NOTE: I typically use the brush from the paints above. Remember we are “BLENDING” so it’s ok to use one brush for multiple colors as long as they are all in the same family. Blue SPiT with Blue paints and Orange SPiT with Orange paints! I think you get the picture! Randomly, enhance your original colors with the SPiT. For example, in some areas where the orange was applied, brush the “Phoenix Fire” SPiT to get a brighter Orange.

Let it dry again and with a 100 grit sanding block, distress corners, edges and some of flat areas to get the antique look! After distressing get your dark wax to antique the full piece or only some random areas. Apply as little or as much as you would like. After all this is your piece. Seal with at least (2) coats of your favorite sealer sanding in between coats and voila your masterpiece is an amazing piece of art!

Please follow Us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MLFurnitureDecor/ And Pixie Dust and Unicorn SPiT can be found here: facebook.com/pixiedustpaintcompany facebook.com/unicornspit I hope that you all enjoy this tutorial and most of all have fun creating your next piece! Your Friend, Maria A Revollo Founder & Designer ML Furniture Décor LLC.

More examples of My Bermuda Blending Technique 🌹🌹

• Pixie Dust
  • Bermuda BlendingTM Painting Kit  (https://gypsygaragellc.com/)

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House

To see more: https://m.facebook.com/MLFurnitureDecor/

• Catherine Gannon Hamilton

can you varathane over the dark wax? Or are you using a different sealer?

• M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi! I isually use Polycrylic clear satin finish but if I use more UnicornSPiT to enhance the paint it's highly recommended to use Polyurethane in satin finish as well.. Never used Verathane before.. Hope this help Maria ☺️

• Kathy Haines Cramer

I never thought you could poky over wax... Doesn't it repel the sealer?

• Catherine Gannon Hamilton

I was just curious as everything else I have read says you can not use both...either wax or poly as the suggestions are the poly or varathane won't adhere to the wax

• M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi Catherine! I don't use the wax as sealer, I use it to antique my pieces applaying it in random areas (Where the dust acumulates lol) and I seal with Polycrylic or Polyurethane with no problem 😉

• M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Bermuda Blending

, Bermuda Blending
    • Lana Wilson

It says that wax and poly should not be used together but I have used on all of my table top surfaces wax (As I love the depth of it especially if you color the wax with paint) and a VERY VERY THIN LAYER of varnish AFTER a couple of days when wax is dry and hard. Or just SPRAY a thin layer of varnish first. Then another very thin layer of varnish AFTER the first is dry. No problems at all BUT the layers must be very light and after 4-5 days when wax is dry.

• Valerie jones

LOVE!!!! On the six panel armoire it almost looks like there's a metallic sheen. Is there? Also looks like panels have a raised texture. Could you talk about that? Love your work, I'm about to try spit paint

• Myla Crellin

Yes... Maria highlights with metallics

• M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi Valerie! I used Pixie Texture on each panel door and a roller to give some details to the armoire. Then I refinished it with my Bermuda Blending Technique and added some metallic gold to enhanced the design of the rollers ☺️ Thank you!

• M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Here it is a picture of the armoire and the doors

, Bermuda blending technique with raised textured panels
  • Lisa Evers

Sorry for my ignorance , are these products available in Western Australia please

• Katherine Guy-Verstraete

M&B Furniture Decor, Sorry my question is late to this post but... Do you dilute any of the paints before you apply or do you just use full strength? Also will any soft brush work for this process as I can't afford any special tools at the moment. Thx Kat Love your work.
    • M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi Katherine!
      Thank you looking at my post 😊
      I use the paint full strength no need to thin out but if you feel more confident in blending the colors with a thinner paint go for it 😉
      About the brushes to be honest when I started painting about 20 years ago we didn't have this many options in brushes so I always looked for a soft one that didn't shed that much.. (Unfortunately very limited options)
      Now I really LOVE to use the Cling-Ons that you can get for a still affordable price!
      Anyway it's fine to use a brush that you like and feel comfortable using it .

For more info please join our Q& A page of Bermuda and more blending techniques on Facebook .
      Regards,
      Maria A Revollo

• Katherine Guy-Verstraete

Hello M&R Furniture, Sorry I'm a little late in asking this but here goes.... Do you thin out the paints before you apply at all or do you use full strength? Also can any soft brushes be used for this as I can't afford any special tools at the moment. Thx Kat Love what you do.

p.s. I thought I posted a question previously and I don't see it here so I am posting again .
    • M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi Katherine!
      Thank you looking at my post 😊

Regards,
      Maria A Revollo

• Kim Mauldin Williams

Hi! Love this look. I'm thinking of ripping out my countertops at the beach house and trying this. Would it hold up with poly on top?
    • M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi Kim!
      If you are painting countertops you will need something more durable and easy to clean..
      Many of my students seal theit tables, counters and even floors with epoxy.
      I personally never used epoxy before but have seen the end results of their pieces after the epoxy and it looks amazing!!
  • Melanie

Hi! I love this look! Could I do this on a wall?
  • Han29739397

I want to know the cost of your Bermuda blend and unicorn spit please
  • Karim.mayo127

Ooh it's amazing work well done.. I have a question 😅
    I'm from Egypt and i don't have any brand here except jotun,kapci and sipes for paints so please what kind of paint and brand should i use for this project and what is the type of iT.
    • M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi Karim! I use chalk paint or regular latex water base paint for my furniture.. I add Pixiedustpaint additive to the regular latex paint to get the velvety chalky finishing.. No sanding required.. Thank you 🌹

• Karim.mayo127

Thank you so much 😘😘
  • Kent Niswonger

You seal over the wax. Doesnt your top coat sealer seperate?
  • Andrea Delwo

Can a dark glaze be used instead of the wax?
  • Paula Torrez

Do you have any videos of this?

• Paula Torrez

Do you have any videos of this?

• Margie Gamble

can you do this on a piece that been painted white

• M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi!

I will suggest an unpainted piece to get the true colors in your blending rather than pastel colors. Also when distressing the white paint underneath will show as well.

• Margie Gamble

I really want to try this I have a dresser that was stained many years ago and another piece that been painted white do I need to sand these?

• M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi Margie!

using chalk paint gives you the advantage of avoiding sanding the piece before painting, having said that the white painted piece might turned your colors more on a pastel colors blending rather than the vibrant colors of the Bermuda Blending Technique. The stained piece should be fine but you still want to lightly shanded for a better results and durability of your new painting 😉

• Janet

Have you done this on outdoor furniture? If so what were the results. What did you use to seal it?

• M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi Janet!

Yes, I’ve done it in outdoor tables and even on a metal bench.

I sealed it with 3 coats of outdoor sealer from Minwax Helmsman clear satin finishing.

Maria

• This is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! Do you have a video that shows your blending technique? I would love to be able to recreate your art, but I’m fearful that without some more specific guidance that my attempt will be a total flop:(

Thanks for your tutorial and pictures of your beautiful work!

• Cor33988153

This is beautiful! I have some old, wooden chairs I bought from a restaurant. They are painted black. The paint is worn off in some areas around the edges. I would love to do this on them! Do they have to be stripped or can I lightly sand? Don’t think I will do it if I have to strip them.

• Carol Lundeen Ottmers

i can’t wait to try this! It’s beautiful! Does the furniture need to be bare wood to do this? Can it be done on painted furniture or must I sand or strip it? I have several chairs that are painted black and think this technique would look amazing! Help!😊

• Kate Allen

If you use Annie Sloan or Autentico chalk paint, you don't have to do anything to the original piece. Just wash with Simple Green (from grocery/hardware store) Try this technique on a board first to get comfortable with it.

Kate, Blue Egg Home

• Elizabeth

I've been looking everywhere trying to find a technique that will help me create a look I'm trying to achieve for a small wooden table in my foyer. I want a harmonious blend of blues, pale greys and turquoise-related colors, with bits of metallic silver as accents. I've considered doing a chalk technique and adding some silver leaf at the end - but wondered if you think Bermuda Blending could work.

• M&B Furniture Decor Llc

Hi Elizabeth!

this is the foyer table I did in Bermuda Blending TM Technique.

I think it will be a great focal point in your foyer.. 😉👍🏼👍🏼

• Shoshi Shemesh

where can i buy the materials and colors online ? thank you

• Ruben Trevino

I just googled it. Many great suppliers. I chose to use paints from Walmart. You can't beat .50 bottles. The gold/ silver leading paint is a bit more pricey. I then used a semi gloss polyurethane to cover for protection. I did my front door and am currently working on a huge and very ornate dining set. I chose aqua, blues, and some dusty to hot pinks. Looks amazing and you really can't mess this up. Just let go!!!

• Paulette LaFleur

I will be working on a door and would like help on finding the stencil you use on your door. Can you please help me

• Nikita

Can you tell me where you purchase both the pixie dust & unicorn spit?! I’m struggling to find it anywhere...

• Kat Rogers

I know that Amazon sells Unicorn SPiT as I've bought it there. Have you checked for Pixie Dust There?

Best of Luck & Fun!

• Vershion

I have a dresser that begs for this technique. I know the knobs and handles come off, but it also has a hinged leaf. Should I remove that too before I get started?