Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Bubble Wrap Window Insulation Hack

$2

If you're like me and come from a small town with old houses, you can remember insulating your windows for the winter. My dad would take plastic sheeting and double sided tape and seal up all the windows we didn't absolutely need to open. Well, now we live in a house with much better windows, but that doesn't mean there isn't an advantage to adding insulation. We’re still losing heat through our windows, just a smaller amount.  Extra insulation not only helps you save the environment  (by using less electricity) but can save you anywhere from $100 to $500 dollars over the course of the winter (depending on how large your house is and how many money saving tips you implement).
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
bubble wrap window insulation hack
The only things I used for this winter hack were bubble wrap and a spray bottle filled with water.
bubble wrap window insulation hack
Here I am freezing next to my window. It's the beginning of December, and it's freezing outside.
Step 2: Spray the Window
bubble wrap window insulation hack
I couldn't believe that water is the only thing holding this on the the window, but it really works. So I sprayed the water evenly all over the window.
Step 3 : Press On the Bubble Wrap
bubble wrap window insulation hack
I precut my bubble wrap to size, so I started at one corner and spread my bubble wrap over the window. It sticks very well. I can also remove it easily by pulling and then wiping the window with a cloth.
bubble wrap window insulation hack
I could not believe how much of a difference this made! Plus I still had sunlight shining through. I could still open and shut this sliding window, it didn't block any light from coming in, and only obscured my view a tiny bit.

• Bubble wrap
  • Water in a spray bottle
  • Scissors

• Bev29621577

I live in a handicapped apt & my air conditioner sits low in the wall. I don't have an outside cover for it. It is very cold in the winter & very hot in the summer. Is there anything I can do? I can't afford a good outside for it either.

• Loral Fuller

Did you place the smooth side or the bubble side to the window?

• Kathy Brown
    17 hours ago

Which side of the bubble wrap do you put on the window