Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Bubble Wrap Window Insulation Hack

$2
1 Minute

If you're like me and come from a small town with old houses, you can remember insulating your windows for the winter. My dad would take plastic sheeting and double sided tape and seal up all the windows we didn't absolutely need to open. Well, now we live in a house with much better windows, but that doesn't mean there isn't an advantage to adding insulation. We’re still losing heat through our windows, just a smaller amount.  Extra insulation not only helps you save the environment  (by using less electricity) but can save you anywhere from $100 to $500 dollars over the course of the winter (depending on how large your house is and how many money saving tips you implement).
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
The only things I used for this winter hack were bubble wrap and a spray bottle filled with water.
Here I am freezing next to my window. It's the beginning of December, and it's freezing outside.
Step 2: Spray the Window
I couldn't believe that water is the only thing holding this on the the window, but it really works. So I sprayed the water evenly all over the window.
Step 3 : Press On the Bubble Wrap
I precut my bubble wrap to size, so I started at one corner and spread my bubble wrap over the window. It sticks very well. I can also remove it easily by pulling and then wiping the window with a cloth.
I could not believe how much of a difference this made! Plus I still had sunlight shining through. I could still open and shut this sliding window, it didn't block any light from coming in, and only obscured my view a tiny bit.

• Bubble wrap
  • Water in a spray bottle
  • Scissors

• Connie Kilgore

Yes I'm going to do this today I hear it w ok rks very well

• Ryan Crognale

Wow...so you pass off Alaska granny's idea as your own, and you tell people to put the wrong side against the glass. Way to go....

Bubble side to the glass as you now have all that still air between the glass and around the bubbles creating the insulation buffer.

If you're going to steal an idea, at least give the originator credit and tell people to do it properly. Many people have written about this, and they all give her proper credit for the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxGl7IO2Ds