No-Sew Buffalo Plaid Christmas Tree Skirt

For the last few years I have decorated with a rustic, almost woodsy feel for my Christmas tree. This year I stayed with the same theme, but I wanted something more dress up the tree - something to make the tree crate (http://www.hometalk.com/714589/make-a-christmas-tree-crate-hide-that-ugly-stand) and wood scrap ornaments pop (http://www.hometalk.com/10993546/rustic-wood-scrap-ornaments)! And since plaid is my favorite color, I decided to make a Buffalo Plaid tree skirt...best yet...this is no sew and can be finished in less than one hour!
no sew buffalo plaid christmas tree skirt
This tree skirt is based on the fleece fringed/no-sew blankets that have been popular for so many years. I actually think I need to make a blanket too!
Hop on over to the fabric store and grab about 3 yards of fleece. If you have scissors, measuring tape/ruler, and some pins, you can make this in no time.
Cut two circles the same size (measurements are on the blog post). The diameter of my tree skirt is 51"
Create the fringe. Keep the fabric folded, and along the outer edge, make straight cuts into fabric, anywhere from 3-5 inches long.
On the TOP LAYER ONLY, make 1/2" slits at the top of the fringe (where it stops and meets the solid portion of the fabric)
Make small slits in the top ONLY - just about where the top of the fringe ends. The slits only need to be about 1/2", slip your bottom fringe through and you are good to go!
Now, slip the matching bottom piece of fringe up and through the slit in the top layer. Continue this around the tree skirt.
Look at how fun that tree skirt is! I cannot wait to get the entire tree decorated...but even if it takes awhile, the crate and skirt dress the tree just fine!
Holly Lefevre

• Becky

why do you not tie them as in a blanket? What do you do with the top around the tree?

• Holly Lefevre

Hi Becky - I did not tie them becasue the fringe layed flatter and that is the look I wanted...You could absolutley tie them. I use this with My tree crate, so I lay my tree skirt down them put the wood crate on top (centered, and then my tree stand goes in the crate). So you could put your tree skirt down first and then set the tree on top of the skirt...or cut a slit leading to a small hole in the center for the stand.

• Teresa Hege Wooten

Where did you get that crate you out the tree in? Did you make it too?

• Sheryl

What width of fabric did you use? Thanks

• Carol

I really love this! I think I would pin some pretty bells around the fringe in every other one. Even if you washed the tree skirt, the one nice thing with fleece is it will not fray. Good choice of fabric! Good job too.

• Holly Lefevre

Thank you for the sweet comment. There are so many ways you can personalize this. Bills are a great idea.