Shavonda @ AHomeFullOfColor
Shavonda @ AHomeFullOfColor
  • Sacramento, CA

DIY Painted and Stenciled Linoleum Floor

We've put so much work into making our kitchen a space we can really enjoy but there was one major eyesore killing the vibe: the ugly linoleum floors. Since we were saving up to replace the floors throughout our home eventually, I wanted to try something fun to make them pretty for the time being. Head over to the blog for a complete tutorial from start to finish.
diy painted and stenciled linoleum floor, diy, flooring, how to, painting, Our standard builder grade linoleum sheet flooring before starting the painting process
Our standard builder grade linoleum sheet flooring before starting the painting process.
diy painted and stenciled linoleum floor, diy, flooring, how to, painting, After cleaning the floors with TSP I rolled on a coat of a good high adhesion primer
After cleaning the floors with TSP, I rolled on a coat of a good high adhesion primer.
diy painted and stenciled linoleum floor, diy, flooring, how to, painting, I then painted on 2 coats of Glidden Porch and Floor in a soft mint color
I then painted on 2 coats of Glidden Porch and Floor in a soft mint color.
diy painted and stenciled linoleum floor, diy, flooring, how to, painting, Then began the stencil process It was tedious and long but well worth it in the end
Then began the stencil process. It was tedious and long but well worth it in the end!
diy painted and stenciled linoleum floor, diy, flooring, how to, painting, After completing the stencil I laid down 2 coats of poly to protect all my hard work I made the mistake of using an oil modified poly which caused some yellowing once dried If you try this project make sure to use WATER BASED poly
After completing the stencil I laid down 2 coats of poly to protect all my hard work. I made the mistake of using an oil-modified poly, which caused some yellowing once dried. If you try this project make sure to use WATER BASED poly.
diy painted and stenciled linoleum floor, diy, flooring, how to, painting, I love how it turned out I love that it adds a soft whimsical element to the otherwise modern space
I love how it turned out! I love that it adds a soft, whimsical element to the otherwise modern space.
Shavonda @ AHomeFullOfColor

• Mary S. Duncan

I bought Bullseye primer to do my floor but returned it after reading on the can, "DO NOT USE TSP WITH THIS PRODUCT " and "DO NOT USE ON FLOORS". How are your floors holding up?

• Andrea Stroop

I have a question about the cabinets; Were they standard cabinets with the doors removed? Or did they come open faced like that? I want to try that with ours and your cabinets look awesome!

• SeminoleMom

How long is the drying time in between coats of primer, paint, and poly? I'd like to get an idea of how long I'd have to stay off my floor. Also, do you have to clean the stencil off every time you move it to avoid having the paint smear?