From Boring to Beautiful-Easy DIY Unicorn SPiT Pansy Technique

Step by Step Directions to transform your project into a Pansy Explosion with just one finger, a few supplies and Unicorn SPiT!
This technique can be used on just about any surface but for this demonstration, I will be using an ordinary dollar store clear glass vase.
By now you've probably heard of Unicorn SpiT but in case you haven't, let me tell you a little bit about it! Unicorn SPiT is an amazing colored gel stain and glaze in one product. It's the first and best of its kind. It can be used as a glaze/paint over existing finishes, an enhancer over chalk paint for a three dimensional effect, a wood stain and more! It is non-toxic and smells like jasmine! No kidding! Jasmine! This means crafts, painting and staining all year long indoors!!! No harmful chemicals or odors and cleans up with water!! I am so happy about this product! The sky's the limit. So, I was playing around one day with SPiT and my brush was loaded with one color and I needed a quick dab of another color so I laid down my brush and dabbed my finger in the paint to touch up that area on my vase and that is when I realized I could get this Pansy-like effect with just my finger! So like Forest Gump, I ran with it and didn't stop! The result was a chintz-like patten of pansies! It's so easy to do with such great results!!
BEFORE
Prep your vase by cleaning and drying so no dirt or sticker residue resides on the glass.
All you need!!
Paint the outside of the vase in your choice of chalk paint. Let dry. You may need two or three coats for a finished look on the inside.
Once you can no longer see through the paint from the inside, you're ready to finger paint with Unicorn SPiT!
One coat of chalk paint v/s three coats
Set up your palate of colors and start with your darker colors first. Dab your finger in one, two, or three colors you think would make a nice flower. Dab your finger in a three dab sequence going in a 180 degree pattern—resembling a three petal flower.
Cover the vase with as many flowers in that color you'd like without overlapping. Let dry. Repeat with other colors. Let dry. Repeat some more! Once you have the vase completely covered, and it's dry, go over one final time to make corrections and layer over any that need a little more. Add a dab or two of another color in the center to resemble the pistal. Let dry! You can do this as many times as you want until you like how it looks. Then just let it dry and if you’re as impatient as I am, use a blow dryer to speed things along.
Almost done! Here is where the magic happens with Unicorn SPiT. You’ll notice on your project, that when unicorn spit dries the paint becomes chalky and lighter in appearance than when it was wet. Don't panic!! This just means the SpiT is dry and ready to seal!! When you spray or paint your polyurethane onto your project, the spit returns to its bright depth and restores the life it had when it was wet. It even takes on a three-dimensional effect. Spray or paint your project with only an oil based sealer. When using Unicorn SpiT which is water based, you always want to seal with an oil based polyurethane or finish to prevent reactivating your SpiT. On this project my favorite product is RUST-OLEUM Triple Thick Glaze. Several coats with light sanding (220 grit) in between should do the trick.
Ready to Finish with RUST-OLEUM TRIPLE THICK
A very forgiving bonus to this technique is it hides mistakes in both your art as well as your finish. There will be a bumpy 3D effect so sanding is important but not a must. If you like it, that's all that matters! I find after several coats of the spray, that it is smooth enough for me but still has a slight bumpy texture. I think that adds to the 3-D effect of the Unicorn SPiT and the floral pattern pops with color and depth.
There you have it! A beautiful piece of art that cost pennies to make and all it takes is a finger, your imagination and a few easy supplies thanks to Unicorn SPiT.
Here are four samples of this beautiful technique!
Hope you like this technique and want to try it for yourself!!
By Melissa Marlow Reid

• Unicorn SPiT, Foam brush, Chalk paint, Polyurethane, 220 sand paper, and your imagination!!  (Shimmershell's Unicorn SPiT and Lowe's)

10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth

• Olivia Dyer

How would it look if you use a natural sea sponge instead of your finger ?
    • Cruisin granny

the only way to know truly is to make a sample or try the technique on a small scale first...how bad can,it be? if. you don't care for the look either clean it off or paint over it...start again....you'll never know the different looks you can create if you don't go for it.....

• KD Hanes

In the picture where you show the four samples of the project, I really like the one to the far left. The one that looks more like...bigger and muted flowers? I guess is the best way I can describe them. How did you do that exactly? I love doing crafts but I'm not a very great artist so these tutorials are AWESOME, thank you by the way!

Bottom line: I would love to try THAT version of this technique and am not quite sure how. Can you please help?

• Jewellmartin

KD, also try using your thumb or pinkie fingertip for different effects. ☺️

• Gail

I love this project. Do you think you could do the same with plain acrylics. I have lots for those and lots of vases but i don't want to invest in a bunch of new paint(unicorn spit).

• Tracee Pettee

I use a lot of regular acrylic paints. I believe the key point is making sure you seal your projects with the oil base sealer as the authors suggest. However, I hadn't heard about until now and have been using mostly water based sealers. I think it's better to be safe than sorry for my new projects.

• Cyndee

I am adding this to my list of to dos

• Chel

This is so pretty and uplifting! I definitely want to do this, especially with my grand daughter who will love that it's unicorn spit!