Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Mosaic Cookie Tin Planter

$3

When this season rolls around I often get a lot of Christmas cookie tins from friends, and I’m always looking for ways to turn them into DIY projects. I already used one for storing sewing supplies (and nothing says disappointment in a kid's face like opening up a cookie tin to find craft supplies, am I right?). So I came up with this lovely project to repurpose the tins into lovely mosaic succulent
mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
I used a cookie tin, glass stones, a premixed sanded grout, and a putty knife. Step 2: Place Stones Around Your Tin
mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
I used a little dab of grout on the back of my stones and then stuck them onto the tin. If you use too much the stones will squish around and if you use too little they won’t stick at all. I've found that the right amount is just enough to cover the whole back of the stone in a ¼ inch thick layer of grout. If you’ve never used grout before don’t feel intimidated. This is the perfect project to get you started.
mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
It's best to work from the bottom up, that way the stones won't slide down with gravity. I also did a little pattern, but you can just put the stones on randomly and that works well too.
mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
*Important: Let it dry for at least 12 hours. Step 3: Grout the Mosaic
mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
To make sure the grout got into every crack, I spread it evenly across the tiles. This isn’t just for looks, having grout between your glass gems will keep them from getting knocked off. It doesn’t matter how messy you're going to get, because you can just wipe off any extra grout.
mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
Next, I wiped off the excess grout with a damp cloth, getting as much off as I possibly could. This first wipe gets off as much extra grout as possible.
mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
Then I wiped the mosaic again with a clean, damp cloth. This is more of a polish than a cleaning. Next I did a third sweep, making sure to pay attention to where and what I cleaned so that the stones were nice and clear.
mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
Isn't it great way to upcycle those cookie tins leftover from Christmas? It has a wonderful Mediterranean flare and will also look beautiful in the summer time.
mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
I might make another to use as candle holders! What do you think?
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 17, 2018 10:58 PM - More info

• Bobbie Saraceni

would this work on wood bowl painted with a sealer inside

• Jewell Martin

Use Spanish moss or shredded straw to line the bowl, then fill with potting soil for plants. Or use artificial plants and straw. ☺️

• Sally Ann Perkins

how about the little sea glass?i bought a bag of it and im gonna try it with sea glass!

• Geeswonderland

Seaglass would look pretty.. Show us if you decide to do it.. The sand in grout is a good idea too!!

• Georgia

Great idea! So pretty! One question--don't the tins rust from the water, pit, and then get ruined with the watering of the plants as well as being left outdoors???

• Stevie Johnson

If you want to keep it a long time, you could use tar or fiberglass the inside. Fiberglass likely better. Some plants don't seem to like tar, but I do have cactus that don't mind it. Either punch or drill holes in the bottom for drainage. Use a block of wood on the other side as you pound so you don't dent the bottom if you are pounding a nail or punch through it. Or, place a layer of gravel to hold excess water before you put the soil in. To keep the bottom of your pot from getting ruined by water that drains into whatever you place under the pot to catch excess water set to pot on anything that won't show & won't let it tip. Pieces of wooden shims work. Use the thick end & water sparingly so you eon't full up your drop catcher. If a plant needs more water, you can always take it to your sink or outdoors & really soak it occasionally, leaving it on your dish drainer or any other rack or screen type thing to drain well before returning it to the dtip catcher. Always best to water a little less than you think most plants would take, anyway. Overwatering kills more plants than underwatering.