Mosaic Cookie Tin Planter

546K Views
When this season rolls around I often get a lot of Christmas cookie tins from friends, and I’m always looking for ways to turn them into DIY projects. I already used one for storing sewing supplies (and nothing says disappointment in a kid's face like opening up a cookie tin to find craft supplies, am I right?). So I came up with this lovely project to repurpose the tins into lovely mosaic succulent planters. Step 1: Gather Supplies
Time: 1 DaysCost: $3Difficulty: Easy
  • mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
I used a cookie tin, glass stones, a premixed sanded grout, and a putty knife. Step 2: Place Stones Around Your Tin
  • mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
I used a little dab of grout on the back of my stones and then stuck them onto the tin. If you use too much the stones will squish around and if you use too little they won’t stick at all. I've found that the right amount is just enough to cover the whole back of the stone in a ¼ inch thick layer of grout. If you’ve never used grout before don’t feel intimidated. This is the perfect project to get you started.
  • mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
It's best to work from the bottom up, that way the stones won't slide down with gravity. I also did a little pattern, but you can just put the stones on randomly and that works well too.
  • mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
*Important: Let it dry for at least 12 hours. Step 3: Grout the Mosaic
  • mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
To make sure the grout got into every crack, I spread it evenly across the tiles. This isn’t just for looks, having grout between your glass gems will keep them from getting knocked off. It doesn’t matter how messy you're going to get, because you can just wipe off any extra grout.
  • mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
Next, I wiped off the excess grout with a damp cloth, getting as much off as I possibly could. This first wipe gets off as much extra grout as possible.
  • mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
Then I wiped the mosaic again with a clean, damp cloth. This is more of a polish than a cleaning. Next I did a third sweep, making sure to pay attention to where and what I cleaned so that the stones were nice and clear.
  • mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
Isn't it great way to upcycle those cookie tins leftover from Christmas? It has a wonderful Mediterranean flare and will also look beautiful in the summer time.
  • mosaic cookie tin planter, gardening
I might make another to use as candle holders! What do you think?
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
  • Cyndi Neumann
    Cyndi Neumann

I am in love with this idea! And, Ihave the marbles , grout and cookie tins. SO, I am ready to start when time permits! I have been looking for mosiac projects!

• Eve
      Eve Gulfport, MS

I love this idea. I've glued the flat marbles to things before but never thought to grout. I just broke my vintage jadeite bowl and couldn't part with the pieces. I wonder if I could use those. A jadeite planter would be so pretty. Thanks for idea.

• Bev
          Bev Leavenworth, KS

I love jadeite.... please send pictures if you decide to use the pieces, I think it would look fantastic!