DIY Window Bench Seat With Drawer Storage

So I started my dining room… Oooooo 800 years ago. So yeah, of course, I’m kidding, But it was like a lifetime ago and it is driving me crazy. OK when you’re doing some sort of renovations or updates, and you’re doing it yourself, there are bound to be delays. In my case, there were lots of delays. I mean life happens. No..Seriously, Life happens. So here I am in my dining room getting things done. FINALLY! First on my list to complete is my window seat with additional storage.
Here is a tutorial on how I built and how you can build your own window seat.
Complete plans available for download at the link listed below.
Start with constructed the base. Make sure not to obstruct any vents.
Build the cabinet base.
Attach the faceframe
Make the drawers.
Attach the drawer fronts
finish with paint/stain and applying the hardware. I got these pulls from Home depot and spray painted it gold.

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
ToolBox Divas

• Donna Marie
    Donna Marie

Good job. Two questions. Does the wood and paint get hot when the heat is on? How do you clean the vent?

• ToolBox Divas
      ToolBox Divas

No it doesn't. You can clean the vent with a hose.

• Donna Marie
      Donna Marie

Ty

• Stephrcourt
      Stephrcourt

I would use a clear diverter so the air from the vent gets pushed into the room

• B. Enne
      B. Enne

I agree with Stephanie Ruh Courtney. I did that in the one we had, and it made all the difference in the room. Prior to that only, the bench was warm.

• Cathy Shay
    Cathy Shay

Do you attach the base of the window seat to the floor or wall or just let it stand unattached so you can move it if needed? I love the one you did and would like to do the same.

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

It looks attached to the wall.

• ToolBox Divas
      ToolBox Divas

Great question. It is not attached because I will be changing out my windows soon. Thank you so much! I explain it in more detail in my Youtube video.

• Kri Higgins
    Kri Higgins

Est. weight limit? It doesn't appear to be able to support much more than a small child or two, especially with the center being unsupported evenly.

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

It's solid, the two sides are well supported there's just a channel down the middle.

• Kristine Kelley Bailey
      Kristine Kelley Bailey

For Pete's sake it appears to be 3/4 inch or 1 inch plywood and with the two supports... it should support around two hundred pounds.
    • Carol Mensch McAlpine
      Carol Mensch McAlpine

Looks very solid to me. Especially with the supports added on the two sides next to where the vent comes out.

• Belle
      Belle

The vertical plywood between each drawer section adds strength as does the face boards(to a lesser extent) and a backing if you add it.

• Lilpixiestixxx
      Lilpixiestixxx

With the 2x4 side pieces on each side of the vent and the 1 inch plywood on top as well as used as upright pieces,you could stand a cow on it and it would be fine.

• Lce31539095
    Lce31539095

What size nail gun did you use , I want to put ship lap up on a wall.
    What size nails.. thank
    • Jennifer
      Jennifer

My dad has been a builder on million dollar houses for thirty years. Any time I do a project that I want to last he will ask me what adhesive / glue did I use.... nails, screws don’t really provide much stay power ... it holds things in place while things cure... I suggest u keep this in mind.... otherwise you have things that fall apart joints that split... etc.... don’t underestimate wood glue 😝 also I recommend a 1/4 inch crown staple for ship lap... You can hide them under the tounge of next piece when your going up the wall with twice the stay power and not pulling thru the head of a trim nail
  • Helen
    Helen

Hi, about 15 years ago,my husband built a storage bench with a top that lifts. However, I haven't really used the storage area because I usually have something sitting on top. So, I was thinking I could convert the area to a large drawer. What are your thoughts? I could cut out the front, install drawer slides. Figure out what size the drawer sides should be and buy a drawer front.
    • Dawn
      Dawn

Drawers would be a good solution for access and would look nice too.

• Scr2007291
    Scr2007291

Did you use a diverted for the vent?

• Mic33062031
      Mic33062031

That was my first thought as well, as one is needed.

• Connie Coultas
      Connie Coultas

I think that is why the middle drawer doesn't go all the way to the ground.

• Believer123
      Believer123

I built a microwave cabinet over my vent area , leaving space over the vent.... it was heating the inside of the cabinet, but not coming out into the kitchen as it should. I removed the cabinet and all is well now.

• Believer123
      Believer123

• Al Pagano
      Al Pagano

remove vent grill, add metal flashing (on angle) to divert to front then reinstall vent grill on front works great...

• ToolBox Divas
      ToolBox Divas

I did at fist. But I ended up closing off the vent and recirculated the air flow to better accommodate the house and preserve energy.

• John
    John

Looks like you hired a Pro! One question: Does it make the room look smaller, or does it blend in so well it just becomes part of the room? Thanks! John

• ToolBox Divas
      ToolBox Divas

Thanks john! It's actually in cantilever or bump out window area in the dining room. So it doesn't take a way from the space. My dining room isn't very big.

• John
      John

Y

• Donna Helmick
    Donna Helmick

Does this not interfer with the air flow? How do you clean the vents?

• Joe Jones
      Joe Jones

With out metal flashing to divert the air it will only heat or cool that cabinet inside

• Lisa
      Lisa

The way to fix that is to take the vent cover off , take metal sheathing and bend with flat wood to create an extended vent box that can be nailed to the bottom of the wood. You use the small metal screws to hold the 4 sides of metal together and at the face of the drawers you replace the vent cover. I did this in my bathroom when the vanity covered the heating vent. Works wonderfully and looks great.

• ToolBox Divas
      ToolBox Divas

No it doesn't I changed the flow of the air in this room to better accommodate the rest of the house.

• Jeanne Martin
      Jeanne Martin

Love love love your bench seat! Just wanted to mention that I had a couch that went over a vent and I found a clear plastic vent diverter at Home Depot (or Lowes??). It was adjustable out to 15" or more and worked perfectly. It simply lays low to the floor and diverts the air to whichever way you aim it. The "tunnel" thingie that extends out was the same width as the vent so it provided great airflow. If you ever need to increase your airflow there get one of those or make your own with flashing as someone mentioned above. Easy peasy.

• Christine Cajigas
    Christine Cajigas

Beautiful work. Did you use tracks or brackets for easy open & close? If so, where did you place them?

• Jeannie Cowan Fennell
    Jeannie Cowan Fennell

Hi Toolbox Divas - I would love to build things like this but I know nothing about using tools. Have you gals in the past or will you in the future, do some online videos for wanna be tool box divas? Thanks so much!

• Teri Uliasz Boyungs
    Teri Uliasz Boyungs

Great job. Looks amazing

• Sheri Farley
    Sheri Farley

Nice! You could use a dresser cut it I. Half add feet I hav a dresser the bottom looks exactly like your window bench that’s what made me think of it thank you so much for sharing that’s a really good idea!