Over the Door Organizer Turned Bedside Storage

$15

If you like to keep a good book by the bed, or store anything bedside, this easy repurpose project is right up your alley! I have some nightstands by the bed, but this guy can store much more and is an easy arms reach beside you! You can grab a cheap over the door organizer, and with a simple cut down the middle and some grommets and ribbon create a great bedside storage unit. This will give you storage on both sides of the bed and a variety of pockets to keep things neat and tidy.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Get materials: first you'll need an over-The-Door Organizer , a ribbon , scissors, eyelets and applicator and finally fabric Glue.

Also, make sure to check out other organizer ideas in the DIY organization project page!
STEP 1: Cut the over-the-door storage unit in half width wise. Make sure you don't cut the bottom of the pocket you are slicing through as you will need it. If you do you can glue a piece of ribbon around the bottom so that it replaced the bottom of the pocket so that you can still store things inside.
STEP 2: The over-the-door storage unit I bought had grommets on one side so that you could hang it from hooks. Since I cut it in half the other side needed grommets for a future step. Take your grommets or eyelets and the applicator tool and apply them to either side of the top of the unit.
STEP 3: Cut two pieces of ribbon the width of the bed you will be adding storage to plus an extra 12". Feed each of the ribbon pieces through the eyelets/grommets you just added to the one side.
STEP 4: Tie the ribbon in a knot around the grommet so it stays in place.
STEP 5: Place the one side of the unit that you just added ribbons to on one side of the bed and feed the ribbon through to the other side of the mattress underneath. Lift up the mattress and pull the ribbon through to the other side.
STEP 6: Feed the two ribbons through the grommets on the other half of the unit.
STEP 7: Now place this half of the storage partially under the mattress and position it so that it hangs where you wish, just as you did on the other side with the other half.
STEP 8: Now tie the ribbons that were fed through the grommets in knots so that it is secured into place.
STEP 9: Now just tuck all your books and bedside treasures away in the pockets.
Pleas ignore this ridiculous brown bedskirt. I know I have mentioned before that I have been working on redoing my bedroom and I have yet to find a bedskirt I want, so for now I have this old one from my sister... I must say though that this thing is going to be super handy.
My husband is so excited about this stinkin thing. He also just got a bunch of books for Christmas so it will be serving it's purpose right off the bat.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas

• PJ
    PJ

how do you get to see it. there is nothing but a materials list and i have clicked everything insight but still no photos!

• Ppo10883674
      Ppo10883674

I've seen a picture at each step, with a picture of the finished project at the end. Could there be a problem with your pc's connection?

• Joan KE
      Joan KE

In my opinion , this is one of the best as in most useful items I have seen on this site..

• Jackie
      Jackie

PJ, I see all the pics also, it must be your computer. Sometimes pictures take a while to load too.

• Carol
      Carol

Probably your internet service. We suffer this all the time. We are told we are off grid and that is the best we will get..thank you A T &T😡

• Donna Marie
      Donna Marie

Love this idea. Going to find one of those organizers. Excellent for someone who is bedridden. We have the same problem with internet . it's our location, not the cable company's fault.

• Bbc10296812
      Bbc10296812

Switch browsers! If you're using Internet Explorer, that's likely your problem in viewing the photos. Try Chrome or Firefox.

• Laura Previte
      Laura Previte

Happens to me all the time!! I can usually fix it by clicking on the next idea and then going back to it. I use Firefox, by the way, so I don't think it's your browser.

• Patti
      Patti

Sorry is this about your browser or the project. Don't mean to be negative just saying.
    • Susan
      Susan

It’s great for storing books, tissue, eyeglasses, cell phone, and a flashlight! We did something similar after an earthquake.

• NanJWeeks
    NanJWeeks

I HAVE AN OLD BAG THAT i HAVE CUT THE ENDS OFF. CAN I USED IT FOR THE SAME THINK.

• Liz
    Liz

I'm fascinated by your quilt. Please give us the story about it! I've got a quilt that my Grandmother made & dearly love it. Thanks!

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

I've got one from my grandmother too!

• Nevilda
      Nevilda

I was eyeing that myself. I have numerous ones my grandmother made and one from my great grandmother. Priceless.

• Melissa V
      Melissa V

Me too!...(or four?) I have several and I am amazed at the intricate detail especially on one my great-grandmother made-Amazing!!!

• Joy Duncan Kutt
      Joy Duncan Kutt

I make what I call utility quilts or quilts to be used and laundered and used some more. I noticed the quilt first thing and my honest to goodness first thought was, "WOW, look at the love in that quilt"!

• Marii Edwards
    Marii Edwards

One can also simply sew this organizer using up your scrap material which is what I will do. Thanks for the idea I certainly can use it.

• Shawna Bailey
      Shawna Bailey

Good idea!

• Carey
      Carey

I made one similar to this for my couch with a piece of upholstery fabric. I made a pocket that could hold a small book or magazine, pockets for the remotes and a fingernail file. Basically things that I want close at hand. I made it in an oval shape with the pockets on one half and the other half slips under the couch pillow. I also put half a doily over the half with the pockets like an envelope flap, so that the effect was decorative. I have used it for years and really appreciate how handy it is.

• Darla DiRusso
      Darla DiRusso

Ive made several over the years from 2 quilted placemats. Fold one in half ( or cut and finish cut edge with ribbon or bias tape) . Stitch the half mat to the full one along the three outer edges, leaving opening across the middle. Tuck the single end between mattress and boxspring, leaving open pocket hanging over the edge. I usually divide up the pocket so theres a dedicated slot for glasses or remote control and a larger space for a book. So convenient, quick and easy. And a way to reuse "retired" or thrift store placemats.
    • Katen
      Katen

I forgot this one! Lillian Vernon used to sell years ago. But those were shallow. This is much better for depth (plus mattresses are thicker now). Yes I’d make one using what is on hand, but I sew a lot. For non or minimum sewers this is good idea.

• Heje
      Heje

This is a "stinkin" good idea. Thanks and please continue to share more of your creative ideas.

• Pam
    Pam

What size grommets did you use?

• Amanda C, Hometalk Team
      Amanda C, Hometalk Team

I used some that were super tiny! I actually used eyelets because I had them on hand. You could certainly use any size within reason. I believe the ones that were already attached to the storage unit were about 1/2" so I would say anything that size or smaller would do.

• Margaret Green
    Margaret Green

Was this an actual over the door organizer or a toiletry travel bag? I've never seen regular over door organizers that would be that short and have such few pockets.
    • Heartbeat
      Heartbeat

I have one hanging on the back of my bedroom door I keep my sandals in the pockets. It's a Set up with hooks that go over the door, like a wreath hook
    • Cat7634217
      Cat7634217

Just click her link above, It will take you straight to the item at Amazon.

• Susan
      Susan

I don’t know. It I know for a fact you can buy bed organizers like this pretty cheap. There with the college dorm season stuff. I have them in my house.

• EasyAs123
    EasyAs123

That bed cover is a disaster. Why would you leave it a ratty mess and not fix it? But trying to concoct random things to fix (?). Can't see the forest for the trees.

• Denise
      Denise

Just wow! I still

have a blanket that belong to my grandmother 40 years ago and I love it

• Elizabeth Laymon
      Elizabeth Laymon

Wow nothing good to say keep the mouth shut

• Meem Kaplan
      Meem Kaplan

We do what we can as we can. If that is her beloved blanket, so be it. I love that she shared this great idea with us and your comment could stop other people from sharing their ideas. Please re-think responding like this.

• Maggie
      Maggie

You should see the beloved ratty bedspread on my bed right now! It has huge sentimental value, and I'll use it until it's shredded. My grandmother made it decades ago and from all of the quilts she made, it's the one she chose to use to cover her own bed. It's the only one I remember seeing on her bed, and I am over 70 yrs old.

"Spread" the love!

• Nancy Mitchell
      Nancy Mitchell

I can see you don’t go to Pottery Barn or some of the fancy shops..the ravelled edge is EXPENSIVE and popular..I love it all even the brown bedskirt.

• Rory McBean
      Rory McBean

Hah! The quilt on my bed IS in shreds! My great grandfather made it some 40 years ago from leftover materials my mom gave him that were scraps from the clothes she made for us!

• Wid11273006
      Wid11273006

I love the bed spreads, the threads shown hanging down, the colors, patterns on pillows and the project! But if I didn't, I would have to be pretty miserable to respond in such a manner. It really is unnecessary to stir the pot constantly. Have you ever tried just counting to 10?

• Christine Cantrell
      Christine Cantrell

I love the bedspread! And everything you shared, thank you!

• Jude Lunsford
      Jude Lunsford

I have a hand stitched quilt on our bed that's over 70 years old. I can afford what any mall or online retail offers, but it's priceless and so unique to me. A matter of taste I guess....

• Pamela
      Pamela

Thank you great storage idea, especially if small room and no room for nightstand. To the rude individual you should not go on others page if you can't be nice.

• Megan
      Megan

That’s the design of it.

• Jeannie
      Jeannie

Meow

• Tammy Roads
      Tammy Roads

I love her blanket. It looks like a lot of work and live went into the making.

To each their own. I bet this blanket gives her joy, and that's much more important than how it looks to others!

Go troll on facebook Felicia

• Pam Moritz-Piatt
      Pam Moritz-Piatt

It's a quilt!!! Eventually all hand made quilts look like this!!! Because they are LOVED!!

• Susan
      Susan

Wow, smdh.😑

• Christina Hotchkiss
      Christina Hotchkiss

we have a quilt that looks worn like that on our bed. It was made by my husbands great grandmother. Every frayed string is a look at the hard work and hand stitching that was put into it. You don’t just throw that away. Well, if you have any appreciation for history and family. To each their own I guess.

• Devin
      Devin

Worry about your own bed and enjoy the nifty idea

• Trisha
      Trisha

Isn’t it so easy to pick apart and find fault in someone else rather than seeing something positive? Your life must be so perfect >:o

• Pam
      Pam

Maybe it has sentimental value. I treasure the quilts my grandmas made me.

• Susan
      Susan

Heirloom quilts are awesome. They are well loved. And...this is a cool idea.

• Deborah Noland Brown
      Deborah Noland Brown

I agree. I think it’s very vintage looking and some like the look. Some people just have to speak their mind no matter what. They haven’t yet learned that not voicing their opinion won’t make the world stop turning...because they’ve not yet tried it.

• Deborah Noland Brown
      Deborah Noland Brown

This was my response to another answer to this post, not the question directly above mine.

• Cathy Little
      Cathy Little

Not everyone can live in your perfect world easyas123. Sad sad sad life you live! My grandmother was a quilter. Old quilts are beautiful...her idea is perfect!!

• Chris Goodman
      Chris Goodman

😂😂😂😂

• Jan
      Jan

WOW!!!! 😳😳

• Lyn
    Lyn

Why don't you just dye your bed skirt? If you want a lighter color, Rit makes a color remover. Do that first, and then you can dye it any color you want.

• Douglas
    Douglas

Why not just tuck the book between the mattress and boxsping?

• Annemarie
      Annemarie

Really?? I'm sure she knows that. I love the side bed pockets.

• Thomas
      Thomas

Yeah....could do that with tge3 book.....but cant stick tv controls or anything else under the mattress. This is a good idea

• Patricia
      Patricia

Because it won't stay, believe me

• Laurie Foster Young
      Laurie Foster Young

Because, my dear Douglas, we are women. We like to have our things close by and convenient. A good nest needs more than just a place for a book. Have you ever been allowed to look into a woman's purse or bag. They are magical! This is a very useful organization necessity!

• Marlene Yauornik
    Marlene Yauornik

I like the idea but what makes it from slipping out from under the mattress?

• Joan
      Joan

There are 2 storage units connected together with the ribbon on both sides of the bed.

• Jennifer
      Jennifer

The ribbon keeps it from one side storage bag....connected to the other bag on the other side..... only way is if ribbon unties. idea used in bed rails too for some beds.

• Geri
      Geri

The weight of mattress and you.

• Tammy Morris
      Tammy Morris

You have to read all the instructions. The organizer is cut in half. Each half for each side of bed. Tied together.

• Marie
    Marie

I like it and the skirt.

• Barbara Cooper
    Barbara Cooper

I really like this! Thank you!!

• Mary
    Mary

This is brilliant! Do you use Velcro?

• Carlene Williams Johnson
      Carlene Williams Johnson

No she used ribbon long enough to reach to the other side n attached it to another organizer (it looks like). It looks like u could use Velcro instead. Great idea.

• Faith
      Faith

this looks cool

• Sue Pettit
    Sue Pettit

Would this work for my 🛋?

• Nancy
      Nancy

I had to really enlarge that little sofa symbol to figure out what you were talking about. LOL!! You could probably fashion one to go over the arm of your sofa and secure it under your cushion. Unless you want one on each end of your sofa, then do the ribbon trick.

• Dawn Schmidt
    Dawn Schmidt

Love this! I hate putting a big side table next to beds as I'd rather opt for style. But we all know we have "things" that we need to keep close by @bedtime

• Diane
    Diane

i think that is a great project you’ve done, I believe you are equally talented to make a bed skirt the color you want as well, just use old one as a pattern?? 🤗 I believe in you! Go for it.