Heather Moxie DIY
Heather Moxie DIY
  • Riverside, CA

DIY Multipurpose Table

$50
4-6 Hours

Awhile ago I had my heart set on getting a small table for our little office corner. After a few failed DIYs I was finally able to put together a super simple & inexpensive table with a few items!
diy multipurpose table entry sofa or laptop table, painted furniture
Here's a quick list of supplies however, you can always see a full list at the end of this post & with the video.
First stain or paint both sides of the whitewood. If you're staining the wood you can use a wood conditioner but I've found that on small projects it doesn't make a super noticeable difference. I chose to apply two coats of stain & removed any excess according to the brand directions.
While the stain or paint of the tabletop is drying you can work on the legs. These Parson's legs were a little longer than I wanted so I cut them down to be about 25 inches tall. Be sure to remove the excess from the bottoms of the legs.
One of the great things about this project is that you don't need a lot of fancy tools to complete it. At the time I only had this little miter box to cut the legs but it worked wonderfully. After cutting I went over each new edge with a sanding block to smooth things down.
Once the legs are cut down measure 6 inches from the bottoms & make a mark. This area will become the "paint dipped" portion. Of course you can skip this step & paint the legs however you please.
Add painter's tape to create a straight line & give them a few good coats of paint. I used spray paint but any type of paint will work. Remove the painter's tape while the paint is still drying & give the legs about 30 minutes to dry.
Using a complimenting or contrasting color, paint the rest of the table legs. I added about 2-3 coats of paint until I was happy with the color. This portion can be done with or without painter's tape.
Set the table legs aside to dry & if you're tabletop has had enough time to set you'll be able to add the attachments. Leg attachments can be found in many styles & are great since they come with all the hardware you'll need. I attached mine to the edges of my tabletop using a drill but it's so simple you could even use a screen driver.
After everything has had time to dry you can begin adding the table legs. You may need to play around with the placement until the legs are square with the edges.
*Optional
I added a layer of polycrylic to my tabletop to protect it since I wasn't sure exactly how it would be used. Depending on your needs you may be able to skip this step. Give the surface a few hours to set a about a day to cure before styling & you're all done.
This table is one of my favorite projects simply because of it's ease & ability to grow with a space.
I love that we can move it around any future living spaces to fit our needs as they change.
Feel free to leave any questions down below & check out my other corners of the internet.
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/HeatherMoxieDIYed
Blog: www.heathermoxiediy.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/HeatherMoxieDIY
Instagram: www.instagram.com/heathermoxiediy/

• 48"x12"x1" whitewood  (Home Depot)
  • 4 Parson's Table legs  (Home Depot)
  • Table leg attachments  (Home Depot)

Heather Moxie DIY

• Sue

What was the cost to make. Love it thanks for sharing.

• Anita cowell

great table i want to make one. but i dont understand the table leg part. how did it twist onto the metal leg attachments? i didnt notice a long screw on an end of a leg. did you have to drill and add the screws?

• Cathy Murphy

Love it! I need to make one to put behind my couch and maybe put power strip attached to one of the legs for a small lap and to charge my notebook and phone! This will be my next project! Thanks!

• Caseyem11

I like these narrow tables and have several in my home.