French Grain Sack-inspired Repurposed Sachets

I love the look of gorgeous vintage French grain sacks, but could never cut into one. So I recreated the look, which can be used in any number of ways!
Get the full DIY Tutorial HERE!
To recreate a French grain sack, I needed the right fabric. And I found it in the linens section of the thrift store with a lonely, beige curtain.
I wanted to recreate both the classic striped grain sack look, AND the faded print/script look. So I did so using painter's tape, rubber stamps, and a secret ingredient that is discussed here!
Once everything was set, it was time to turn my fabric into sachets! So I sewed two squares together, leaving a healthy margin and a small, one inch opening on one of the sides.
Through that opening, I added lots and lots of organic dried lavender! Mmmm, can you smell its fragrance through the computer? I wish you could because it smells amazing!!
After I added enough lavender to each sachet, I closed up the opening and then pinked the raw edges, all the way around. Don't they look lovely? Just like French grain sacks. Best part- you can recreate this look on ANYTHING...dish towels, placemats, napkins, etc.

• Curtain  (Thrift Store)
  • Sewing Machine  (Craft Store)
  • Lavender  (Online)

Sadie Seasongoods

• Alicia Oliver

I love this idea! I'm thinking about doing that style on a shower curtain. If I need to wash the curtain after I paint it, will the paint stay on?
    • Sally Bennett Ford

You can just use acrylic paint. I've done that on clothing and it lasted, even going through washer and dryer. You can also find an additive for acrylic paint that changes it to fabric paint and that is much cheaper. I think the additive is found with the acrylic paints.
  • Pja21722312

the Lavender looses it's good smell so fast!! Any other smells?
  • Jeanne Martin

Lovely result! You said above there was a secret ingredient. I clicked on the link and read your entire blog post and saw nothing about a secret ingredient. What is the secret ingredient? I'm hoping this wasn't a ploy to get me to "click" to your blog!
    • Jeanne Martin

Sadie...again, what is the secret ingredient you mentioned! We need to know! You haven't answered my question at all.