Vintage Cloche Light

$30

I have to admit, I have totally jumped on the vintage Edison bulb craze. I love being able to see all the filaments in the bulb and the calming amber color of the glass. With that in mind, I thought it would be really fun to display one of these bulbs in a cloche style lamp! I know electrical stuff can sound tricky, but trust me this is super easy and can be done in a jiff! With a glass cloche and a light kit you can make a beautiful cloche lamp with a nod to simpler times.

Love this project? You can buy your own by clicking the link below. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

SUPPLIES:
-Glass Cloche with Base (this cute thing could also be a terrarium)
-Vintage Bulb of your Choice
-Light Kit (I got this perfect one on Amazon, and it wasn't expensive at all! I've seen lightbulbs that cost more than this kit.)
-Drill
-Spade Bit
-Rotary Tool (I have used this tool for so many projects, I can't even begin to describe how much I love it.)

STEP 1: Mark and Drill
Find the center of your base and mark with an "x".

Then drill a hole through the spot you just marked. Make sure the hole is big enough for the cord from your light kit to run through.

STEP 2: Sand the hole
Take your rotary tool and a sanding bit and sand a ditch in the bottom of the cloche stand for your cord to run through. This will help the base sit flush when you are finished.

Place your cord in the ditch to make sure it fits.

*I also used my spade bit to drill slightly into the wood by the cord hole so that the hardware that is needed later can rest up in the wood. (you will see this in images below)

STEP 3: Wire the lightbulb
Now it is time to start wiring! First grab your cord and feed the wire through the nut, the washer, the threaded nipple, and the base of the cloche as well. 

Once you have pulled the wire through all the parts you will need to feed it through the opening of the socket.

STEP 4: Screw it in correctly
This part is very important! The wire comes with two chords. One has a ribbed texture on the side while the other is smooth. The one with the ribbed texture is the neutral side while the smooth one is the hot side. The neutral side will be paired with the SILVER screw. The hot side will be paired with the GOLD screw.

STEP 5: Secure the chords and wires in place
Once you have your chords in the right position you need to secure them in place. First wrap the exposed wire around the base of the screw in a clockwise direction. REMEMBER!! grooved (neutral chord) goes with the silver screw and smooth (hot chord) goes with the gold.

Screw the screws into place making sure the exposed wires stay tucked underneath.

STEP 6: Secure it to the base of the cloche
Now grab the threaded nipple and screw it through the opening of the socket as much as you can.

Use your washer lock to secure the threaded nipple in place by screwing it tightly.

STEP 7: Now simply add your light bulb!

My chord set came with a bulb, but it was REALLY bright and so I went and bought one with lower wattage.

STEP 8: Because the chord has to go over the washer lock there may be a bit of a bump. To help the lamp rest securely, add some hot glue dots to the bottom of the base to raise it up a bit allowing the chord to rest underneath.

STEP 9: Now just set your lamp where you would like it to be, put the cloche over the top and plug it in! (It looks great even unlit)

Look how cute this fella is! Such a fun vintage touch for a desk or dark corner.

Look at all those filaments! I may have to splurge and get one of those diamond shaped ones or the crazy cut bulbs and display it in this guy!

• <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Variable-Speed-Rotary-100-Piece-Accessories/dp/B01J40LUMS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1488788877&sr=8-1&keywords=WEN+2307+Variable+Speed+Rotary+Tool+Kit+with+100-Piece+Accessories&linkCode=ll1&tag=ctbr-amanda27938417-20&linkId=f501bdff94a7adf43707abd23895adbb" class="href-bb-tag" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">WEN 2307 Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit</a>  (Amazon)
  • 18 V Dewalt Drill  (Lowe's)
  • Creative Hobbies ML1-B6 Large Christmas Tree Wiring Kit  (Amazon)

• C Crow

Love the lamp. My question is off topic, but I am wondering what is the name of the little plant in the white pot?
  • Tracey

Could you glue the cloche edge into the wooden base and hang it upside down??
    • Tina

I suppose you could, but what would you do when you needed to change the bulb? I believe this method is much more practical.
  • Jess

Hi there, this is such a great idea and project 😍 my question is about copyright really - so is it possible to make items u see posted as DIY project like this one and go on to sell them? Does this not cause some kind of copyright issue? Just super curious! Thanks xx

• Linda Hunt

I believe there are copyright rules that come into play but I have no legal knowledge to assist with this question but, I do have something to add on the ethical side...I wear rose coloured glasses and believe in the goodness of people but there are some out there darned determined to to ruin my outlook. I would like to gently say that copying someone else's idea without approaching them is dodgy at best, at worst it is stealing. Now, with that said, talking to the creator and coming up with a fair deal is always a good play in my world and way of thinking. Does that help us start a conversation that might work Jess? I do hope that you do not think I am being rude but if I have misstated anything do let me know and we can solve it easily! Have a lovely weekend. Cheers, Linda

• Nadine

Great idea. Love it!
  • Kelly

This is easy project to do but I would suggest a shorter bulb, so as not too close to the glass. Also would add a cover to socket base. They make ones that look like a candle dripping also in different colors from white beige black or gold. I sell them at my store for around $1 each depending which one.