Laura.YSG
Laura.YSG
  • Hartwell, GA

DIY String Light Poles

These mobile string light poles are the perfect easy DIY for spring.

They can really be used anywhere. They would be great on a patio or around the pool, but, at the farm, I love using them to light up outdoor living spaces under the trees and around the garden.

diy string light poles
Shopping List
  • 6 gallon galvanized buckets 2 @ $15 each
  • Quikrete 2 @ $3 per 60# bag
  • 2″ diameter 10-foot long gray electrical conduit tubes 2 @ $7 each
  • PVC caps 2 @ $2 each
+paint to match conduit tubes if needed
diy string light poles
Assembly (Requires 2 people)
  • Find a level area to assemble the light poles
  • Fill bucket 3/4 full with water
  • Stand conduit on end and hold in place
  • Pour bag of Quikrete into bucket and stir with a stick – Don’t move the conduit
  • It should set up enough to let go of the conduit within a couple minutes
  • Leave it on level ground for 48 hours

Once the Quikrete is set up, lay the pole over on its side to place the PVC cap over the open end at the top. This will prevent rain water from filling your PVC pipe. I did have to paint my PVC caps with gray paint to make them match. I already had some, but a can of gray spray paint is all you would need.
diy string light poles
Results
These string light poles were so easy and turned out looking great. The best thing is that they are mobile, and we can use it anywhere on the farm with these great solar lights. It’s not like they lit up the farm, but they allowed for ambient lighting outside for guests to gather.

We hung the lights by wrapping them and using zip ties. We always have a set of  zip ties around the farm.

They can be dressed up with more lights, plants or even fabric for fancy parties and left as is for more a casual get-together.

• Galvanized Buckets
  • Quikrete
  • Electrical conduit
Laura.YSG

• Pam

My neighbor did this idea for his sons wedding and made a giant umbrella of lights. It was amazing

• Ernie

Where did you get the Paul from

• Jessica Ranee

Beautiful! Do you think these would work with the Edison-style market lights, or would they be too heavy and cause them to tip?

• Luis Sauceda

Just wondering if you tried this yet. I am doing the same, and wondering if I can hang the heavier lights from these poles?