4 Ways to Use Old Rain Boots for Spring Decor

$30

I've had an old pair of rain boots sitting in my closet for a few years now. Call me a packrat if you want but because they're not all tattered and falling apart, I held on to them in the event I needed a spare (I have cute hot pink ones now with polar bears on them that my mom gave me) or if inspiration struck me and I could use them for something creative. I've seen a lot of different ideas for repurposing rain boots for decor floating around the internet so I decided to try a few and make them my own. This was such an easy, fun project that I'm sure many people will get a kick out of (Ha! Pun intended!).

SUPPLIES:
-Bearpaw rain boots
-Voila Decorative Shred (I ended up using yellow Easter basket filler made by Spirit that I found at Target. I also used a little rosin paper to fill in the bottom portion of the boots for my Easter basket concept.)
-Spirit plastic Easter eggs
-Ashland artificial flowers
-ribbon

Not pictured:
-scissors

I also used a pair of wire cutters for cutting the artificial flowers. I definitely recommend something like this for cutting the flower stems because they can be a pain to get through!

STEP 1: Cut flowers
For my first decor idea for my rain boots, I simply wanted to fill them with a floral arrangement so I eyed up how far down I wanted the flowers to sit in the boots and I used wire cutters to cut the stems.

STEP 2: Arrange flowers
Then, I arranged my flowers inside my boots. For this step, you can always add ribbon to the boots if you want. The sky's the limit with these quick and easy decor ideas!

Here's a shot of the arrangement. I love how the pinks/corals/light greens pop against my hunter green boots!

STEP 3: Add handle for hanging
Since I had an arrangement already made, I decided to see how the boots would look hanging on my front door so I tied one end of a piece of ribbon to the buckle of the left boot, then I used a pair of scissors to slice a little hole on the inside calf part of both boots, feeding the ribbon through and tying it in a knot on the right boot. There was just enough slack in the middle to be able to hang it from a door wreath hanger.

I absolutely love how these boots look on our front door! I was afraid the hunter green against the deep red would look too Christmas-y but I feel that the pink and coral colors really give the whole door a classy, spring look.

STEP 4: Create Easter boots
The next decor idea I created was simply adding Easter basket filler, plastic Easter eggs and a few chocolate ones (because you can't forget the chocolate!  ). I also used the same ribbon from before and tied a ribbon on one of the boots.

A final great way to use old rain boots is to place your umbrellas in them. I think this is a super cute way to store away umbrellas while also creating a unique piece of decor.

• Rosana Halprine

Any suggestions on maybe painting the boots some fun colors and then adding the flowers.
    • Jackie

Just purchase childrensyouth boots at a thrift store or yard sale - plenty to choose from - many colorful designs. And no work.
    • Any paint will likely flake off bc they're flexible but you can certainly try it out!
    • Jewellmartin

I know that kids' stickers will adhere to them because my granddaughters have proved that. Come to think of it, my son decorated their rain boots with acrylic paints, and there was no fading or peeling off after two years' worth of rain puddles and pouring rain. Best wishes 😇