Farmhouse Wall Decor Using an Old Shutter

This project actually started out as a cool find on one of our trips to the Brimfield Antiques Show & Flea Market where I picked up this old shutter for $20.

I wanted to lighten it up a bit and make it more versatile so I started with a coat of chalk paint. I didn’t sand it or prep it in any way other than to wipe it clean. I wanted all of the cracks and layers of paint to show through. After it dried, I hit it with the palm sander and really brought out the colors and wood from the other layers.

I wanted to add a bit more depth and character to it by adding another element to this farmhouse wall decor. I thought about hanging little glass jars down on each section for flowers but I wanted something a bit more solid. Then my husband found these in our junk pile.

I know what you’re thinking. What could you possibly do with that? Well, I still had the vase idea stuck in my head so we took some pieces of this drain pipe and cut them down with a grinder with a diamond blade. Not necessarily what it’s for but effective.

The edges were a bit sharp so hubby filed them down so they were safe. Then he screwed one to each panel of the shutter.

You can’t actually see it, but I hot glued some floral styrofoam to the bottom of each one to hold in the flowers.  I have to be honest, that was a pain in the behind! But it worked.

I added D ring hooks to the back to hang it.

You can see more on this project and others like it on my blog at http://mylifeonkayderosscreek.com or visit me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/lifeonkayderosscreek/

Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

• Techymom

Lots of hard work and very creative. As for the 'distressed' look? Not my cup of tea.

• Randy Gilana Goff

My daughter loves this project. Looks like it’s in my future. Thanks for thinking of it.