Easy Crate Bench on Wheels

$30

You have probably noticed by now how much I love working with wooden crates. It's amazing how much you can actually do with them. This time, I decided to create a bench on wheels. This has to be one of my favorite crate projects for home decor. It's fully functional and I use it for storage, seating and sometimes I roll it out to use as a coffee table. Stain it, paint it or keep it 'au natural'.

*Project Inspired by Stacy Davis.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Be sure to check out some other awesome DIY furniture makeover project ideas!

SUPPLIES:

• Stair Treads x 2
  • Wood Crates x 2
  • Caster Wheels (with brakes) x 4
  • Screws
  • Wood Glue
  • Screwdriver
  • Stain or Paint (optional)
  • Sandpaper

Step 1: Attach four caster wheels to the bottom side of your stair tread. One per corner. I used wheels with brakes to ensure I had the option to lock it into place when being used.

Flip your stair tread over (wheel-side down). This is the base of your bench.

Step 2: Apply wood glue to the bottom side of each of your crates. Ensure it is the long side and to put glue on each slat.

Step 3: Place your first crate glue side down onto the stair tread.

Step 4: Place your first crate glue side down onto the stair tread.

Step 5: Apply wood glue to the top side of each crate. Ensure to put it along all of the slats.

Step 6: Place the second stair tread on top of the crates. This will be the top of your bench.

Step 7: Insert screws into all four corners of the top of the bench. This will provide more stability. Be sure to sand down your bench after all of the steps have been completed.

Stain, paint or leave your bench au-natural! I decided to stain my bench with charcoal stain and rough it up a bit for a more rustic look. I love the way it turned out!

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season

• Kathleen Pierce

I would like this for our 42 inch tv. That shouldn't be a problem, should it?
    • Jennyprrs

For height so your TV is at a better viewing height I wonder if instead of laying crates longway you could stand them up and use three across instead of only two but follow all other directions listed if that wouldn't work better for a TV stand
    • Julien K., Hometalk Team

Hi Kathleen,
      That's a great idea! I agree with Jenny. It is quite low, so staning three crates up tall would be a much better option for TV viewing height. Just make sure you forgo the wheels, or use ones that have a locked wheel option. Happy DIYing!
    • Ann Marie

I was thinking about this as a TV stand as well. I like the idea of putting the crates on standing on end. And really love the idea of using stair treads -- way less work finishing the edges ! I may give this one a try
    • Cheri Hooper

And you can put movies in the baskets below! Or video games for kids/grandkids!

• Loi7974063

What size board did you use?
  • Jessica Ho

How is this $25? I purchased everything for $75 and didn't even get wood stain.
    • Melanie Schneider

Wood crates alone at Walmart at 12$!

• Jessica Ho

The two stair treads I bought were $20 total
    • Jessica Ho

I see you updated the cost by $5. Still not close to what I paid.
    • Julien K., Hometalk Team

Hi Jessica,
      The crates I purchased with a coupon from Michaels for 50% off. They were 2 for $5. Glue, screws and hardware I had on-hand. I updated the cost because I forgot to add two of the caster wheels. I often shop around online and be sure to look at various stores for sales and discounts. Hopefully that helps! Good luck.
    • Marie

HOW MUCH WHERE YOUR STAIR TREADS?

• Stacy Thornton

It also depends on what country you live in. I am in Canada our nice finished treads like the ones used here are very expensive but the unfinished ones are very cheap. But shop around, use coupons etc. This is a great project and I cannot wait to start mine. Good luck everyone!!
  • Patty

what is a Stair Treads? What size to get?
    • Julien K., Hometalk Team

A stair tread is the wood panel they use to make the base of your stairs out of. You can find them in any hardware store. The size I bought had 3 steps.

• Elizabeth

Could i double the treads and crates for an additional level? I would like to create a utility cart for my kitchen.
    • Julien K., Hometalk Team

I'm sure you could! Maybe just add a few wood nails along with the glue to ensure the middle component will be more secure to make up for the added height. :)
    • D

What about turning the crates up on their short sides for the first and second level. You would have six crates for kitchen storage.
  • Geno N Becky

What size crates did you use?
  • Deidre Phillips

Hiw much did you spend on this project?
    • Amy Morgan

The estimated cost at the top of the post says $30. I don't know how they came up with that. I just priced the stair treads, crates, and wheels at home depot and have a total of $65 before tax.
    • Phyllis Snyder

Hobby lobby also has the crates and you can use 40% off coupon per one item each visit.
    • Zona Ragan

A lot of time the creates are on sale at Walmart $ 7.00
    • Tina Saucier Cross

crates are on sale till 5/7/17 at Menards for 7.99
  • Heidi L

What size screws are used?
  • Lyndsey Annalise

What size stair treads are used? My store offers 3 different sizes.

• Carolyn

Do you need a drill for the screws on top or is the wood soft enough to just use a screwdriver?
  • Kathy Findlay

Did you flip it and screw the bottom to the crates like you did the top plank? I think I would for more stability as well...
    • Susan

she doesn't say - but if you feel better doing it - then DO
  • Donna

How sturdy is this? I'm wondering about a larger person sitting on the bench or is it mainly for kids?
    • Maria

I am waiting to hear the answer too!
    • Norma Jean Eichmann

I also waiting to hear the answer to this. How sturdy is this bench? I have several heavy family members and I want to make sure that they will be able to sit on this with no problem.
    • Delight_tabesh

If using as a bench I'd put legs on bottom instead of rollers.
    • Angel Woods

Yes! Thank you for asking I want to know as well. Or if it doesn't hold a lot of weight- what can be added to make it a little sturder
    • JoLeen Bolton

I wondered that, too, but looking at the structure, with the heavier part of the crates acting as uprights, it seems to me it has a good amount of support. If you look at the construction of a set of stairs, it basically has the same support, maybe more.
    • Edith Siegel

The bench should be no problem for weight bearing. I would be concerned about the caters under it. You might prefer to use nylon chair floor protectors that would slide if moving it required.
    • Ray11505738

Since the two crates are spaced apart & evenly placed over the bottom tread it should be able to bear quite a bit of weight.
    • Donna

I originally posted the question. I have a few of these crates and they usually aren't made of very sturdy wood. I have one that a slat broke on - it had a knot on the slat and it broke fairly easily. I would be afraid to build and have anyone but a child sit on it.
    • Senior Chief

If you need a sturdier bench, use a sturdier box (one with solid sides) & also better casters. Edith is right about the casters being a weak link. Most casters have a weight range printed on the label. Nice simple quick & cost effective project 👍
    • Jess La Bella

The weight bearing sides of the crates are not slats. They are solid boards. If u r worried, use studs or 2x4s
    • Magzilla

I would also use 6 wheels instead of 4 :) keeps the middle supported so it doesn't "sag" under heavier weight.
      I'd like to use this idea in an RV could be extra kids bed (w/locked wheels) & gives extra storage.
    • Annie

stair treads are pretty sturdy, I would not worry about sagging.
  • Ginny

What is a "stair tread"? What are the dimensions ~ length, width and depth?
    • Molly Gardner

I got mine at Home Depot. Be advised that no one knew where they were and they were not listed on their computers by 'stair treads" I found them on the bottom row under the pine boards in lumber section. They had a tag saying 'pine tread'. They are the most beautifully finished boards I have ever seen!! They are 4' long and rounded on the one edge (front side). I made this project for a plant stand and put books and pottery in the crates. I love it and now plan to make super easy shelves for the whole wall.
    • Susan

you seriously don't know what a stair tread is??
    • Kathy Gydus

Ginny, a stair tread is the part of the stairs that you step on while going up and down the stairs.
    • Kacey C

Folks, be nice to each other and don't ridicule and make others feel stupid. Not everyone lives in a house with stairs and/or may not have grown up with them. (slab homes in rural areas, for example)
    • Bel8306999

Home Depot is a great place to find crafting/building items but don't depend on the employees for help. Hunt them down yourself. I went to buy stair treads (after I got the inspiration from this bench, thank you!) to build a bookshelf. Went to HD, an employee saw us looking around, asked what we wanted. We told him, he looked it up and said they didn't have it. We kept looking and voila, there they were. He came around the corner as we were loading the cart. He looked a little sheepish and said, "guess you educated me". It wasn't easy for me or my daughter to keep from laughing till he was out of earshot.
    • Meg

I love this idea and will use it in my entranceway. I really need a place to store shoes and sit down to take them on and off.

I have never had stairs in my home and didn't know what they were either. I really appreciated Molly's entry that said they have one finished edge.
    • Ray11505738

Our main door opens into our kitchen & I don't really have a place for people to sit to remove their shoes or to store the shoes when not in use. Can't wait to get the supplies & make this bench. Thanks for sharing the idea. And I grew up in a house with stairs and have never heard the word stair tread. Knew what they meant when saw the board.
    • Chr6891814

Thank you, Kacey, for so gently calling out troll-like comments. We are all ignorant about some subjects, and need as many people as possible to participate in discussions of all kinds, and ask and answer questions.
    • Feekie

I could sort of "imagine" what a stair tread was by the name, but I didn't know you could buy them. I thought you had to make them yourself. However, I had noticed that HD has what looks like the sides or end pieces for a 2 or 3-step assembly. So, this must be the area where the finished stair treads can be found. I'm anxious to see theur price, because from their description, they sound too expensive for a $30 project, I hope I'm wrong, because i really want to make this storage bench.
    • Mary Hofstra

Yea, not too nice accusing someone of not knowing what a stair tread is! I would have thought they'd be called a stair "step", but then you'd probably be picturing steps. (More than one!) I knew what they were, I don't know HOW I knew, but let's be kind! Besides, it's fun reading some of the questions people ask😉
  • Robbie Sanders

How high do u think u might stack alternating crates n treads. I am in need of shelving n how perfect to be able to move the shelving. I need this in my craft room n could assign a project to a set of units n bring to the front each type of project being the current one. I have never been in one of the big box stores that did not handle stair treads or know where they were. Thanks for the great trick.
  • Tif22890602

there are several crate sizes. Did you use 18x12.5x9.5?
  • Feekie

Did I read the instructions correctly that you are to glue and then screw the top tread to the crates, but the crates are fastened to the bottom tread by glue only? Shouldn't they be screwed together also?
  • Roolin

How long were the stair treads that you used?
    • Lin Collins

Most treads are standard at your local home fix it store. It really doesn't matter though. This is a perfect idea which anyone can modify to suit their need. Use a longer board with more crates or a shorter one with one crate. Use your imagination and have fun with it. I'm envisioning a taller one as an entertainment center or as a kitchen island. Very cool!
  • Chris Wail Burklow

What are stair treads?
  • Edie

I am tall and find normal benches too low. Do u think it would be possible to turn the boxes length wise and add another box thus making the bench higher?
    • Vicki Bellmore

Yes, but, you may have problems putting baskets in them.
    • Patricia

Are they study enough to be stacked 2 high? Or you could possibly make a base then set the crates with another base on top to balance out the look. This would add height. I have the same problem with things being too low for my long legs.
    • Dl.5660408

That's exactly what I did and found baskets that were a perfect width!
    • Kathy Haines Cramer

Don't use crates as part of the support structure. Use plywood, or other wood shelving cut to the height that you need and use those as 3 -4 supports. Or frame out your own sized boxes with 1 x4's. That would be easy. :)
    • Monique Desrosiers

You could also increase height by adding wood between the underside of the bottom tread and the casters.
      Using 4x4's for example you could cut 4 blocks to desired height - one per caster.
      Or using 4x4's cut one length to add above right hand side casters and another above left hand side casters. These would run front to back.
      Or run a length under front casters and a length under back casters so they run from one side to the other.
      You could also layer pieces to get to your desired height. Consider 2x4's or a mix of 2x4's and 4x4's for a "custom fit".
    • Susan Bechtel

Could you use footstool legs instead of wheels?
    • Monique Desrosiers

That occurred to me too only after I had already posted. And why not!? Could do it with or withput casters. I like the thought if chunky round couch pegs.
      Love this bench btw Julien. Very clever to use treads.

• Rachael Basye

I was actually thinking the same thing. We are tall as well. You could probably fit more crates if you did this. The ends of the crates are pretty sturdy.
  • Bklyn Cowgirl

I love it! I'm wondering if you would be able to do multiple levels, sans wheels, in order to make a book /record case? I'm thinking of three or four shelves using the crates on end for some of the levels.
  • Mickey Hogan Jeneski

Would love to try, but I'm wondering the dimensions are of the stair treads and crates? They both come in many different sizes.
    • CJ

Hi Mickey!
      I think if you are finding the treads and crates in different sizes, you just need to decide what size of each works best for you and your space. If you are building it, you can customize it any way you want! Have fun!
  • Her17608594

Did you painted the woodcrates and the stair thread first before putting together all assembly's?
  • Fer7614254

Question, when placing the crates, they are centered on the stair tread right?
  • Cdr32802514

Is there a way to modify it to be very sturdy? I don’t want to worry about my guests exceeding the weight limit.

• Cdr32802514

FYI, I know nothing about making furniture

• Her Te

I made this. What I did was I glued and screwed the crates onto the stair treads.

• Jonathan Diamond

What length for the stair trends ?

I saw 36 inch and 48 inch

• Jonathan Diamond

Going to do it but home depot has 36 inch and 48 inch stair trends what size do you use ? You don't mention that

• Jonathan Diamond

Ok stair trends what size do you use ?

I found 36 inches and 48 inch thinking the 48 inch ones are the right size please let me know as I'm so ready to do this project

• Jonathan Diamond

Ok stair trends what size do you use ?

• Racheal

What size stair tread are they using in this DIY? there are two sizes...

• Jackie

Can you add a padding on top like an ottoman? If so where can I find one?

• Jen Sicilia

I will try this! Crates can cheaply be purchased from craft stores that always have 40-50% off coupons. Stair treads aren’t expensive, quick search I found them for $6 each. I don’t see why this would cost $60 make? Could be done for $20-$30. 🤗

• Jackie

If you look back at the very top of this posting she has the cost as $30.

• Em

Be careful what you buy. Crates are made for storage. Some of the cheaper ones are not made to hold humans.

• Kathie Elia

Casters are the most expensive item on this build.

• Carrie Ervin Divine

I was thinking maybe you could use the plastic kind which would be more sturdy. (and because I already have 2 of those. Lol. )

• Marie

I used wooden "feet" rather than the casters...