How to Install Overlay or "Hidden" Cabinet Hinges

$150

When we started the kitchen remodel, my husband really wanted to do all new cabinets. I talked him out of it because the ones we have are functional, solid wood and really just needed refreshing (not to mention cabinets are very expensive!). So he conceded but said he really hated the hinges. The hinges?! So here was my solution to those eyesore hinges.
Look at them! They catch your attention. In our kitchen update, which you can follow on my blog, we added a few new cabinets that had concealed hinges already installed.  So to tie it all together and give it a cohesive and more modern look we bought concealed hinges, also called overlay hinges, also called European hinges. 
First measure the overlay. Simply measure the width of your cabinet door, and subtract the width of the opening. Divide by 2.  My opening was 21”w my cabinets were 21.5”w so my overlay was ¼”. Some of the hinges are adjustable – spend the extra money and get the adjustable ones – you’ll need that feature, trust me! Check out my full blog post for where I bought mine.
Take down the cabinets and remove all existing hardware. Paint or stain your cabinets. 
Next, you’ll need a precision mounter that comes with a large drill bit. Align the jig to the edge of the door, mark the center ...
.... and drill your hole to the depth of the bit.  This is the exact size for the hinge to fit in. 
Now attach your new hinge with a few screws, and screw the hinge back to the frame.  The other screws on the hinge allow you to adjust the cabinet door side to side and up a down a bit – use your adjustments to get your doors level. 
And wa-lah, new kitchen cabinet hinges. - tucked inside ...
... and NOT drawing your attention. For more DIY tricks, tutorials and design ideas, please subscribe to my blog here. To see more photos of this process and get the name of my tools, click the blog link below! Thank you!

3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Jenni Ingram

• Sylvia Rodriguez

And my cabinets are pressed wood and I would like to know can pressed wood be painted because my cabinets look terrible I do not want to ask the landlord to help me

• Marlene

They have kits at Home Depotor lightly sand surfaces and paint

• Sally-Charles Evans

I have the antique, hammered copper, pointy arrow looking hinges and pulls! And I HATE them!  I wonder if I could cut off the points and paint them??? They would have to be sanded smooth at the cuts.....

• Crystal C

Yes, but cooper is coming back and maybe better to sell them as they are and buy some you like depending on how old they are post a picture.

• Nia Donovan

I have these type of hinges on my cabinets. There are a couple of cabinets that don't close all the way, I think because my cats open those doors. Can the tension be adjusted on these hinges?

• Ipo

I have these hinges they are the worst ! Sorry they look pretty but after constant opening and closing of the the pantry cabinets etc they eventually start to loosen and doors begin to hang; can’t tighten. Had to undo and redo ..

• Rose Bencivenga

Was so excited to do some of the many projects thanks so much for sharing