Gold Mirror Makeover With Chalk Paint

221 Views
We have a mirror I’ve had since the 70s. Octagonal, gold frame, beveled glass. It’s been a good mirror. I’ve used it in halls, over mantels, in bathrooms. Good size for many locations. It’s versatile.

• gold mirror makeover with chalk paint
It’s now dated and shabby. And not in a chic-y shabby way. Just stained and a tacky shabby. Like everything we’ve done the past year, I have no “before” pictures, although this will give you an idea of how it looked.
  • gold mirror makeover with chalk paint
I picked up a quart of Annie Sloan paint in French Linen. There are two wax colors available: dark and clear. I chose the dark.
  • gold mirror makeover with chalk paint
I gave the full mirror a single coat. Let it dry about 20 minutes. Repainted several spots that bled through. Waited 20 more minutes. Repainted a few places again. I don’t think this was any fault of Annie Sloan’s.

I chose the dark wax. It chocolaty and thick. I wiped it on with one rag, then wiped off the excess with another, clean one. Don’t cover a large area, then go back and wipe it off. It doesn’t dry on contact, but you want a smooth, continuous finish.
  • gold mirror makeover with chalk paint
This is a tiny bathroom, with no other light than over the sink and no window. It fits in this little alcove perfectly.

But, best of all, it is still a versatile mirror. It would go nicely anywhere.

For more details and photos, come visit us at BarefootAffairs.com.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Annie Sloan Paint & Wax  (Specialty shop)
  • Good condition, old mirror  (already owned)

Ask a Question
    • Jgl7933775
      Jgl7933775

I love this finish.beautiful. Now I've got to try it

• Susan W Bosscawen
        Susan W Bosscawen Winnsboro, SC

The paint is expensive, but after completion, could barely tell any was missing. It's been 2 years in a bathroom vanity and held up well. Thanks for writing. We'd love to have you join us at BarefootAffairs.com. Come visit.