Rock and Roll Tribute Storage Box

$10

I wanted to do a little tribute to my musical hero.
rock and roll tribute
So, I had this boring wooden box laying around. The NY winter was getting to me so I needed a small project to lift my spirits. Painting and listening to Queen gave me the boost I needed. A well made wooden box, but (yawn) it needed life.
He wears it well.
He wears it well.
This is Freddie- in that fabulous Harlequin print. This inspired me.. here's another..
The legend himself
The legend himself
Easy harlequin
Easy harlequin
I knew what size I wanted my inspiration Harlequin print to be. So I sketched it out on cardboard and kept a triangle. I used a Sharpie to trace the cardboard around the box and form my print. Tedious, but worth it.
Hand sketched lettering
Hand sketched lettering
I'm not a huge fan of stenciled perfect lettering- at least not for a tribute to my funky, imperfect icon. I sketched the letters over the top of the box and hand painted them. My inspiration song is one of his best- 'The Show Must Go On'. If you haven't heard it, you must!
Best song ever!!
Best song ever!!
So after I finished the letters, I worked on the harlequin.
Some pics of freddie
Some pics of freddie
There are so many great photos of this man rocking out his harlequin print! I printed a bunch of them and worked them into the print.
Freddie Freddie and more Freddie
Freddie Freddie and more Freddie
I wanted the inside to pop. Aside from the harlequin print, some of my favorite pictures of him are red. He wore lots of red! I took some lyrics from the song, some bold red paint, some pics of him in red, and boom! My Rock Box.
https://www.facebook.com/TamaraLeeDesigns/
rock and roll tribute
For those of you that are fans, here's a bit of history behind the song.
Spectacular, gifted man
Spectacular, gifted man
This was just a little way to combine my love of music with my love of art. Sweet and simple. Thanks for following and sticking to the end. You can find my furniture and other items on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram Pinterest and yes, my website! Look for TamaraLee Designs. The products here are Heirloom Traditions- as I am a stylist and retailer for the line. AlaMode and Black Bean for the Harlequin. 1gel for the decoupage! Cheers!
Tammy

• Terry Lynn

Hi, this is awesome. Would it be possible to do something like this with waterproofing. What could a person use to waterproof it.

Thank you

Terry Lynn

• Trudy

Ask at the hardware store for an exterior sealer, they will show you just what to buy.

• Zaklene

Love your tribute and the story behind the song!

• Barbara

An awesome tribute to an awesome man!! Freddie will live forever in the hearts of many -- including myself!