Sarah M
Sarah M
  • Carthage, MO

How To Make A Dragonfly Out Of Ceiling Fan Blades...

$16.00

Supplies Needed:

• Spindle
  • Top Fence Post
  • 4 Ceiling Fan Blades
  • Item For The Eyes
  • Item For The Antenna
  • finial for the tail
  • Paint

After seeing a picture of dragonflies made out of ceiling fan blades, I had to make one. I had a box in the attic containing four fan blades. I wanted my dragonfly to look like it was made out of ceiling fan blades, so I didn't cut the blades down. I left the fan blade brackets on. I loved the design, so it was a win win!

I wanted to paint the wicker insert a different color than the outer part of the fan blade. I wrapped the blade in newspaper and cut the wicker section out. While the fan blades were drying, I painted the spindle. I forgot to take a picture. Sometimes I get totally involved, and forget to take pictures!

After the spindle was dry. I drilled a hole on top of the spindle where the head would be attached.

For the dragonfly head, I used a top fence post. I painted it the same color as the dragonfly body. After the fence post was dry, A hole was drilled on top of the fence post for the antenna.

I used two white ceiling light caps that I painted yellow for the eyes. Little screws were used for the pupils.

For the Antenna, I used a lamp shade harp off of a old lamp.  

The fan blade brackets were attached to the spindle.

At the last minute I decided to use a finial for the tail of the dragonfly.

Since I decided to use a finial for the tail, Two inches were cut off of the spindle so the dragonfly wouldn’t be too long in length for the fence that I was mounting it on.  

The finished product! I'm pleased with how it turned out.

• Spindle
  • Top Fence Post
  • 4 Ceiling Fan Blades

• Cinda Raybon

Won't it need to be sealed because of weather?
  • Kat

I love this. One question...How'd you attach the blades to the spindle?
    • Sarah M

The fan blades were attached to the spindle using screws. Check out photo nine I believe. Two screws holding each blade.

• Kat

Thanks!

• Janet Hodge

Is it heavy - how did you attach it to the fence?
    • Sarah M

I used 2 1/2 inch screws. I used two of them to mount the dragonfly on the fence.

• Edie Zsuzsics

That is adorable! Any ideas for regular fan blades?
  • Jaejae

what is a spindle? And, where do you find them?
  • Lynne orvis

Is it heavy and how tall and wide is it?
    • Sarah M

4 ft. wide. This would also depend on what size of ceiling fan blade you use.
      It is heavy. Use 2 1/2 inch screws to mount.
  • Gloria Wygal Menzer

My granddaughter made one of these and it only lasted one summer. Used outdoor paint and spray sealer. What kind of paint did you use, and how did you seal it to make it weatherproof.
    • Sarah M

Wow, I'm sorry to read that your dragonfly just lasted one summer. I too, used outdoor paint and a sealer. I didn't plan to leave my dragonfly out all year, I will be bringing mine in during the winter months.
    • Catherine Adlerhurst

The material that is used for those ceiling fans is not something that will take the rigors of UV Light, Acid Rain, Snow, Ice and Extreme Temperatures. In a protected area I imagine it would last longer. Cute and all but not very practical (I don't like going through all that work for it to disintegrate in one season).
    • Cathy

I have 2 that are 4 years old now, starting to show a bit of wear. Most of the other 12 or so that I've made don't last more than 1 year. When the weather warms up I plan to make more and possibly use a brush on sealer. I've been using spray on sealer and they just don't last. I like to display mine outside to display and enjoy.

• Sandy

ANY IDEAS FOR MAKING LADY BUGS? THANKS

• Terry

I used a bowling ball and painted it to look like a ladybug.Drilled 2 small holes on top for wire antennas.

• Theresa Zeth

Now THAT is cute as a bug!!

I love it!

Finally some productive way to use up those old fan blades!

Thank you for sharing!!

• I love these! I have made about fifty of these but do not use the hardware that comes with the fan blades! I give them all away as gifts. Here are 2 of my red, white and blue ones and one purple one with lots of bling! The photo doesn't do justice! I love to re-purpose, too! Great job on yours! ;-)