Holly Grace
Holly Grace
  • Canada

DIY Flower Fabric Pillow

$15

Hi everyone!! I have been a busy little bee lately, so I am absolutely exhausted. As the warmer weather approaches, I feel like I am always at a loss for time… but… I did manage to sneak in an adorable DIY tonight!
I would like to share this DIY flower fabric pillow tutorial with you! This project is sooooo easy!
Want to make one? Just follow these instructions and you will be well on your way!
diy flower fabric pillow
You will need: 
  • Plain pillow cover
  • Fabric or thick canvas ribbon (I got mine on sale at Micheal’s)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Plate (for tracing)
  • Circle template (for tracing)
  • Button (optional)

Let’s dig right in!
diy flower fabric pillow
I used to be really big into scrapbooking, so I have this amazing mat and circle template. If you don’t have something like this you could trace a small bowl or cut your own template from cardboard.
I got this thick canvas ribbon on sale at Micheal’s. I’ve had it for a while now so I can’t remember exactly how much I paid for it, but I think with the coupon, maybe $3? Either way it was a steal!
diy flower fabric pillow
Start by tracing around your circle onto the backside of your fabric

diy flower fabric pillow
Remove your template and then fold your fabric in half and then cut out your circle. You fold the fabric in half so that you can cut two circles at once. This will save you some time.

diy flower fabric pillow
I cut the entire canvas ribbon and ended up with 27 circles. I didn’t know how much I would need so I thought why not cut it all.

diy flower fabric pillow
Once you have all the circles cut, you’re now going to cut them in half.

diy flower fabric pillow
Time to get your pillow cover ready! The one I used, I just made from some old white fabric I had laying around. If you aren’t the best at sewing you can buy just a plain pillow cover. I know Ikea has some nice ones and they are super cheap, too!
You will want to put something in between the two layers of your pillow cover. I just slipped in my cutting mat.

Next, using a plate, trace a circle onto your pillow cover. Don’t worry about the pencil lines — you’re going to be covering that up!

diy flower fabric pillow
Grab a hot glue gun and start gluing around the first layer of semi-circles. Only put the glue on the straight edge of the semi circle.

diy flower fabric pillow
OK, now full disclosure… I’m well aware that hot glue may not be the best thing for long term security for fabric, but this makes this project super easy and I LOVE hot glue. If you’re worried about it holding up, you could always use fabric glue.  

Next, you’re going to put down the second row of petals. You basically go around again, but with one small change — when you put the hot glue on the straight edge of the semi-circle leave a space in the middle.
diy flower fabric pillow
This is so you can pinch up the fabric and give the pillow a true 3-D look.

diy flower fabric pillow
Keep on going around and around until you have filled the entire circle.

diy flower fabric pillow
The middle looked a little unfinished, so I found this cool button and glued it in the middle.

diy flower fabric pillow
Just slip your pillow back in and that’s it!!

diy flower fabric pillow
What do you think? Is this a project you would try?

diy flower fabric pillow
For more details and other great projects, check out my blog!!

Holly Grace

• Shansmow

How do you keep the edges from fraying? Thanks and love the project!
    • Cheryl Toll Feyen

By using hot glue it isn't washable, therefore won't ravel much.

If you want it to be washable , zig zag around the edges of the pieces and use fabric glue or sew pieces down.

But overall a cute and fairly quick project that will last for awhile.
  • Smu21962384

how do you pinch it together?
    • Holly Grace

I just put glue on each end and made sure to leave the middle without glue and then just pushed down the ends that had glue on them.

• Elaine

Hi Holly: I like this idea and think I will give it a try. I have one question and that is: the very last row of semi-circles look as though they are folded in half then glued down as they seem to "stand up" more. Is it my aging eyesight or did you still glue that last row in the same fashion as the other rows? Happy 150th, by the way and thank you for the idea and well photographed instructions!
    • Holly Grace

Hi Elaine! The only row that is glued completely flat is the very first circle that I laid down all the rest I only put a little glue on each end and they kind of pinched the fabric and then glued down if that makes sense. Hopefully this helps!

• Elaine

Yes, I understand, Holly. Thanks! It's just that that very inside (last) set looked more dimensional. I'll give this a try one of these days once I tackle - and complete - some other projects around here! :)