Crutches Upcycled Into Tripod Lamp

I was looking through one of the high end furniture web sites when a small picture of what looked like crutches caught my eye. On closer inspection it turned out to be a super cool vintage tripod lamp and I thought--hey, I could do that!
Check out my blog for more upcycles like this.
The crutch was disassembled, the rubber removed from the handles and feet, and a slight taper cut into the end.
I squared off the top of the arm rest at the top of the crutch, drilled some holes in the sides and inserted some hanger bolts.
I made a template making sure it was big enough to accept the top of the crutch, and used it to cut out the hub from some plywood.
Brackets attach to the bottom of the hub, the top of the crutch will fit in between them and wing nuts will hold it in place.
Everything was sanded, and painted in a faux dark wood grain. The tips of the feet and a few other spots painted sliver for a more authentic look.
The silver paint looked a little too shiny so I painted over it with some black paint and wiped it off to make it appear more vintage.
Everything was reassembled including some chain on the handles to keep the legs from sliding out.
All the electrical parts were added including restoration wire for the cord. The socket is a Lamp-In-A-Bottle kit I bought at Wal-mart.
Detail of the legs including the vintage look cord.
The finished lamp.

Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Scott Valentine

• Cher Curtis
    Cher Curtis

I LOVE it!!! Great idea. I've been wanting a standing lamp,just couldn't find one I liked. This will take some work,and I hope I can make it look as nice. Thank you for sharing.
  • Susan
    Susan

Would love to try this myself! Thanks for the idea, looks great!